A Celebrity For The Kids

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Promises are not meant to be broken.That is why this week’s Campus Celebrity, Jessica Blanco, has promised to impact her dancers during Dance Marathon. 

-Age: 20

-Major: Nursing

-Involvements: 2015-2016 Morale Captain- Dance Marathon, Panhellenic Delegate- Alpha Xi Delta, and Fall 2015 Peer Mentor                                                                                                    

Which is your favorite involvement?
  • To pick my favorite involvement would be impossible. Each and every one of my involvements has given me the opportunity to grow and learn more about myself and I am ever so thankful. As a Morale Captain for Roarthon, I am not only making difference in my community, but I have been blessed with meeting such incredible individuals, who have the same passion as me towards this organization. As a sister and now on the executive board for Alpha Xi Delta, I am constantly being motivated to become a better version of myself. Alpha Xi Delta has given so much and has helped me to realize my potential, while introducing me to long life friendships and memories that I will cherish forever. As a Peer Mentor, I was given the opportunity to be a role model to incoming freshman. I remember as a freshman I was super scared of what college would bring, but thankfully I had the right people guiding me, and I can only hope I was just that to my students this past semester.
What does being on Dance Marathon mean to you?
  • Dance Marathon, now called Roarthon, has allowed me to become apart of something bigger than myself. As a child, I remember getting treated at Miami Children’s, which is now known as Nicklaus Children’s Hospital. Fortunately, I was one of the lucky children. Many children treated don’t get as lucky and must keep going back or staying for long periods of time. Being on the committee for Roarthon, I have been given the opportunity to really make an impact to these children. As a Morale Captain, I feel like my team has the most challenging role during the marathon. We are basically the ones who try and keep dancers on their feet throughout the whole marathon. Roarthon to me means so many different things, but one in particular is being able to make a difference. Coming into FIU, I knew I wanted to make a difference in any way I can. Roarthon has given me just that.
Is there any advice you can give those who are considering being a part of Dance Marathon?
  • To all potential participants I always say to just give it your all. I think the most intimidating part to participants is that they have to be up for 17 hours and that they have to fundraise $100, but many don’t see the many other positive things that come with it. The marathon is such a rewarding and fun experience and I feel like everyone should do it at least once at FIU. You get to meet children who were patients at the hospital at one time (we call them Miracle Children). For me, the marathon motivated me to continue working with this organization. Everyone has a different experience, but if you’re doubting signing up, I say go for because you never know what you’ll get out of it.