absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Celebrities React To The Jussie Smollett Scandal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Allegedly Jussie Smollet, a well-known actor due to his role in the Empire series on Fox, has been accused of faking a hate crime.  Smollet claimed he was physically attacked and called racial/homophobic slurs by Trump supporters, also known as MAGA (Make America Great Again) supporters because he is an openly gay black man. According to the New York Times hate crimes have been on the rise for the past three years and three out of five hate crimes have been due to race. This made the case of Jussie Smollet more believable and pulled on many people’s heartstrings- until Smollet’s case was uncovered and the details from what he claimed happened didn’t match with the evidence.

Jussie Smollett has recently been awaiting trial for charges for a felony due to his false claims. Here is how some celebrities reacted to the news:

Clay Aiken

Photo Credit

“I don’t want to rush to judgment — that said, if it bears out and the evidence shows that it’s proven in a court, that he did what the Chicago police are saying he’s done, I do hope that … we do make an example of him,”

Ellen Page

Photo Credit

“The conversation around Jussie Smollett has led us all to examine hate violence and its implications and aftermath,” she wrote. “If this situation was staged, it could make victims even more reluctant to report these crimes.”

Some celebrities still stand by Smollet.

Tyler Perry

Photo Credit

“Listen, he is so adamant about it and he is so convincing in his story that I’m hoping and standing with him, hoping that it all turns out in his favor, for sure,”

Terrence Howard

Photo Credit

“The Jussie I know could never even conceive of something so unconscious and ugly. His innocence or judgment is not for any of us to decide. Stay in your lane and my lane is empathy and love and compassion for someone I’ve called my son for five years. It’s God’s job to judge and it’s ours to love and hope, especially for those that we claim to have loved.”

Hello there! I'm Dria and I'm a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. In my spare time, I enjoy hanging out with friends and family, taking photos, doing anything nerdy and visiting museums. Follow me on Instagram @_mitochon_dria_ and Twitter @DriaThomas.