This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

She is a rapper, a dancer, a mother, and an activist. Cardi B can do it all and she is proving it on Instagram. She just started her grand tour but she made time out of her busy schedule to voice her concern about the government shutdown.

Two weeks ago Cardi went on her Instagram and posted a video about her dismay on the shutdown. The first time anyone watches the video, they will crack it up. The Cardi B character shines in the video. It is amusing and entertaining to watch. Two things everyone is looking for on Cardi’s instagram. However, most people will have a double take. They will pause and watch the video again. This time, they will actual listen to what Cardi is saying in the video. Cardi made it clear in the video that she felt sadness for the government employees who were not being compensated during the shutdown. She goes on to make comparisons between Obama’s and Trump’s government shutdowns. She pointed out, Trump’s government shutdown is due to the wall not being built. Where as, Obama’s government shutdown was due to the fact he wanted affordable healthcare for all citizens in America. Cardi even makes a point in the video to state that she does not know what she can do to help the government shutdown. Nevertheless, she wanted to voice her concerns.

Cardi B usually does the complete opposite of what people think of her. This is a prime example of that. Most people, who are not educated about Cardi B would assume that she would be the last person to make a political statement. Those same people would assume that she not keeping up with politics. However, the instagram video she posted on January 16th, says the complete opposite. She cares about politics. With over 40 million followers on Instagram and over 18 million views on that video alone, she knew what she was doing. She wanted her fans to care about politics like she does.

Hi! My name is Sonya Islam. I am currently studying International Business at Florida International University. Some of my favorite things to do is constantly read up on pop culture, keep up with politics, and watching tv to relax. Those are actually some of my passions and hopefully, that passion is translated into the articles I write.