Campus Cutie: Evelyn Zapata

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Evelyn Zapata has been elected Campus Cutie this week not only because of her good looks inside and out but because of her contributions as a woman to this school as well. She is definitely a woman of character and ambition and rightfully deserved this nomination. Get to know her better and her story below:

Name: Evelyn Zapata

Age: 21

Hometown: Miami

Major: English and Art history

Involvements: Historian for National organization for women at FIU and a member of the English honors society

What would you want to pursue after you graduate with your bachelor’s degree?:

I will pursue a masters in library science to be an Art Librarian

What specifically about being an art librarian interested you in going that route?:

I’m interested in working in an art museum as an art librarian. I want to help people get the most of their experience and educating others about art work and serving others by placing each piece in a historical context and allowing them to appreciate art in a new way.

Was there a specific piece of art that sparked up your interest within the art world or a specific era?: 

Impressionism really started my love for art because at the time each piece was so radical and completely changed the direction art was going and yet at the same time the colors and new techniques created something so beautiful that we can still appreciate today.

What is your biggest accomplishment as a FIU student?: 

I guess my biggest accomplishment would be that I am pursuing two majors of what I’m really passionate about, helped curate an art exhibition with my Aesthetics and values class and I have even been on the dean’s list.

Do you have any words of advice to your fellow collegiettes?:

Some advice would be to never limit yourself because this is the youngest you will ever be and seek new opportunities. Dye your hair a crazy color, travel and have fun!

Do you know someone who should be FIU’s next Campus Cutie? Find out how here!

A kid raised in Brooklyn, New York home of fashion, art and great culture. The greatest thing to happen to me was living in the city in a sense it was a love/hate relationship because of the area in which I grew up in. Then there was Manhattan filled with all the lights and glamour and things that were on the big screen. Once I moved to Florida it was in a small town called Bradenton which was a huge culture shock because it was the total opposite from what I was used to in every sense ranging from transportation to people. Then there was the care free atmosphere in which shirts and shoes are optional and thong sandals are an every day thing opposed to the city where that is a rare find. Living in Bradenton gave me a different outlook on things and humbled me in a sense. Then moving to Miami for school brought me back to my city roots except with a different view on things and my motivation now is to gain success and not material things as I once dreamed of attaining.