Breast Self Awareness Tips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Tomorrow is the start of October! It’s time to start planning your Halloween costumes, trips to the pumpkin patch and lots of candy! But amongst all the fun and sweet treats, is something just as important, Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since October 1986, October has been dedicated to raising Breast Cancer Awareness.

According to research done by the American Cancer Society, it is estimated that by 2014, amongst women, there will be over 232,640 new cases of invasive breast cancer and 62,570 new cases of Ductal Carcinoma in situ (DCIS) and Lobular Carcinoma in situ (LCIS), both of which are non- invasive. Although Breast Cancer is most likely to develop in older women aged 40 and above, there are few rare cases where younger women can be diagnosed with Breast Cancer. In fact, Breast Cancer remains the leading cause of death for women aged 20-59.

Just think about it; everyone is affected by Breast Cancer either one way or another. That’s why it is important for women (and men!) to spread awareness throughout this next month, and beyond! There are many different ways you can spread Breast Cancer Awareness! You can wear pink, attend your nearest Susan G. Komen “Walk for a Cure”, the one nearest to FIU will take place October 17th at Bay Front Park in Down Town Miami, or you can promote the “breast self awareness” tips found below to all of the women in your life and encourage them to do the same! These “breast self awareness tips” and more information can be found at http://ww5.komen.org/.

1.       Know your risk

• Talk to both sides of your family to learn about your family health history
  • Talk to your provider about your personal risk of breast cancer

2.       Get screened

• Talk with your doctor about which screening tests are right for you if you are at a higher risk
  • Have a mammogram every year starting at age 40 if you are at average risk
  • Have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at age 20, and every year starting at age 40
  • Sign up for your screening reminder at www.komen.org/reminder

3.       Know what is normal for you- see your health care provider if you notice any of these breast changes:

• Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
  • Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
  • Change in the size or shape of the breast
  • Dimpling or puckering of the skin
  • Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
  • Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
  • Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
  • New pain in one spot that doesn’t go away

4.       Make healthy lifestyle choices

• Maintain a healthy weight
  • Add exercise into your routine
  • Limit alcohol intake
  • Limit menopausal hormone use 
Mary Corbin is a Sophomore at Florida International University studying Broadcast Journalism and Political Science. She hopes to become a reporter in Washington, D.C. Mary is very involved on and off campus. She is a Lower Division senator for the Student Government Association, a Morale Captain for Dance Marathon, Public Relations Coordinator for the Miss FIU Pageant and a member of a Panhellenic organization. She is also very passionate about helping children with disabilities. Every year she volunteers at Brucie Ball Educational Center, a school for children with disabilities.