Wellness > Health

Black Maternal Mortality in America

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Maternal Mortality rates is one of the biggest medical systems issues America is facing. Not only are mothers dying at alarming rates, Black mothers are three times more likely to die from pregnancy related issues than their White counterparts.

The United States of America, we have the highest maternal mortality, that Black women in our country, in this era, are three times more likely to die in connection with childbirth. I think it’s inexcusable.

Quote from Kamala Harris featured on Married to Medicine

Black women have the highest maternal mortality rate in the United States. Compared to their white counterparts, Black women are more than twice as likely to experience severe pregnancy-related complications, and nearly three times as likely to die. A CDC data shows that Black women are two to three times more likely to die from pregnancy-related complications than white women, with most of the maternal deaths being preventable.

Recent studies have shown that social factors such as racial trauma, discrimination, marginalization, systemic racism, implicit bias within the healthcare system, the possibility of being uninsured, reduced access to reproductive healthcare services and socioeconomic factors also contribute to pregnancy complications for Black women.

There has been some pushback and activism on ways to minimize the problems Black woman across America are facing within the healthcare system. As of December 2023, 42 states have extended postpartum Medicaid coverage to one year. To further help with postpartum, 1-833-TLC-MAMA is a mental health hotline for mothers to get emotional help.

Organizations have been established to aid black mothers including; Black Mamas Matter Alliance and Black Women For Wellness. Black Mamas Matter Alliance is a Black women-led cross-sectoral alliance that centers Black mamas and birthing people to advocate, drive research, build power, and shift culture for Black maternal health, rights, and justice. Black Women For Wellness is a group of six women who are concerned with the health and well-being of black babies. Their goal is to increase accessible, appropriate and affordable health services that positively impact the health outcomes for Black women and girls, provide health education and information on strategies to prevent illness and to maintain and restore health, advocate for Black women’s health through membership on boards, commissions and task forces, and publish information and educational materials from Black women’s perspective.

Though the fight for justice for Black maternal mortality is not over, spreading awareness and devoting time to advocate for Black women’s rights in America’s healthcare system helps to push for a better future and change for our Black mothers.

Ortajia Williams is a new writer for the Her Campus Florida International University chapter📝. This is her first experience writing and publishing for a company. She transferred from Broward College, and is currently a junior at Florida International University majoring in PRAAC and pursuing a minor in Social Media and E-Marketing Analytics. Since transferring, she has made the Dean's list for several semesters due to her hard work and dedication. She hopes to graduate in Spring 2025 with her Bachelors and minor, and move forward to complete her Masters degree🎓. Beyond Her Campus, Ortajia works as a sales associate at Pandora💍. In her free time, she enjoys skincare🧖🏾‍♀️, food🧋🍜, listening to music🎵🎶🎼, traveling🛫, meeting new people and learning about their culture; and likes to keep herself updated on social media and digital marketing trends📱💻. Outside of school and work; you can catch her at Starbucks☕, the beach🌊, the mall🛍️, and hanging out with her family and friends. She is thankful for this new opportunity, and can't wait to publish articles about topics she's passionate about! 🩷🌸✨