Beware: Athletic Stereotypes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Where did a woman’s love for athletes begin? Why is it that most college girls today light up like a Christmas tree when an athlete is in their midst? Of course that is not to say that every girl will fall in love with the athlete, but it seems that in college male athletes seem to have it easy when it comes to dating. Soccer, Football, and Baseball OH MY! With so many sports today it is no wonder that women are gearing towards a specific kind of guy. The question is is it the good bodies that get the girls, the dedication, or maybe even the stereotypes that specific sports carry along with them.

In high school whether the team had a winning record or not fans rallied around the football team. Everyone knew the Quarterbacks name and most of the time he was the stud of the school. And how could we forget the feeling of dating the football player and getting to wear his letterman jacket all around campus. In high school, and even in college today football players get the most amount of respect. Football players deal with some of the hardest conditions out on the field, not just when they play, but also in how media and movies often time portray them. A few stereotypes linked with football players include:

Football players date only cheerleaders

Football players are jocks who can complete a pass, but not a sentence

Football players builds are similar to that of a bodybuilder

Lets be honest most girls are not dating the baseball players because they love the sport itself. When asked most girls will most likely admit that baseball is boring. Not necessarily agreeing with that statement, but too often girls will spend more time at the game chatting with friends than actually watching their significant others making the diving catch. Some stereotypes associated with the sport of baseball are:

Baseball players have great butts

Baseball players have inflated egos

Baseball players know how to read all the signs

Today soccer is the most watched sport in the world. David Beckham has made sure to keep the lime light on his favorite sport as well by introducing to Miami his future plans of establishing a soccer team here. Girls be ready to go to a ton of games when dating a soccer player, just ask the Spice Girl herself! Being in great shape comes with being a soccer player. For that reason numerous girls who end up actually dating a soccer player will need to have some interest in running, or watching their boyfriend running around dribbling a ball. Along with being in shape there are a few other stereotypes that have stuck with soccer players over the years;

Soccer players have long hair, six packs, and long hair

Soccer players have tremendous stamina and endurance

Soccer players know how to play the field

Now girls do not simply believe all stereotypes. Chances are they only relate to a small percentage of the actual athletes you will meet around FIU. Who knows maybe that third baseman you have had your eye on since he walked into your stats class is going to be your knight in shining amour. Just as easily though that quarterback could be your next heartbreak. Stereotype or not it is important to guard your hearts by being smart and doing your own investigation if you’re following for an athlete.