This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Unfortunately, money doesn’t grow on trees — believe me, I’ve looked long and hard! If you’re lucky enough to have parents that support you financially throughout college, you probably don’t understand the “broke college student” struggle. However, the struggle is very real and it can be SO hard to find a job that accommodates to your school schedule. I’ve had several different part-time jobs throughout my college career, but none of them really have been able to stick around for long since they completely drained me. If you’re working in college, it’s important to find a job that works with your class schedule and provides you with enough funds to still have a social life. Sounds impossible? It’s really not and it may be easier than you think to get a job like this. Make some cash by working at the following best jobs for college students!

Social Media Manager

Are you very social media savvy? If so, then you should highly consider getting a job as a social media manager! The only experience you really need to have this job is being proficient in social media. This can mean different things, such as having a proven track record of growing a social media following, researching usable and active hashtags, writing engaging posts, editing photos, and more. While some of these skills may come as second nature to some of you digital nomads, small business owners in their 30s (and older) didn’t grow up with social media and therefore they struggle more to do basic tasks online. There are also small businesses that need help managing their social media accounts simply because they need more time to manage their actual business. This job can be done fully remote and you won’t need to work at a set schedule. While it does sound incredible, its not as easy as it may seem. You should brush up on some marketing skills before starting this job to ensure that you will be reaching the expectations of the business owners.

Virtual Assistant

Similar to being a social media manager, a virtual assistant is a job that can be done completely remote and at your own pace. You won’t need to leave your dorm room to work. As a VA, your job is to assist your boss in relieving them of tasks they don’t want to do or simply just save them some time. Most of the time, small business owners hire VAs to help them send out emails, create newsletters, run their social media, and more. These may be tasks that are very simple for you to complete, but may take them a lot of time! 

Substitute Teacher

If you’re great with kids, then you should definitely work as a substitute teacher! You don’t need a bachelor’s degree to work as a sub. For the most part, schools require that you have completed 60 credits or received your associate’s degree to be considered qualified. This job is the best as it does not require you to have a set schedule. You have to inform the school of your availability and you come in on days when you want to come in. If you don’t want to come in on Tuesdays, you don’t have to. Want to only work once a week? Sure, go for it! The school works along with your schedule, not the other way around. The best part to me is that most of the time when you do come into sub, the students are usually well behaved and working on their assignments quietly. This allows you to be on your phone, do homework, or study while you are on the job! ​

These jobs are not for everyone. It takes a lot of discipline and responsibility to have a job where you pick your own working schedule. However, if you can get past that, you’ll find that you’re making a lot of money and have a lot more free time! These jobs also look great on resumes when applying for jobs in the future.

Natalia Pineiro is a blogger, social media manager, and college student at Florida International University. Born and raised in Miami, Natalia has always adored how she was able to make longlasting friendships and connections with people from all over the world. South Florida is an extremely culturally diverse environment that makes it one of the most unique places in the world and Natalia couldn't be more proud of it. The passion she has for meeting people of different cultures has pushed her to travel to many destinations to explore new languages, food, and more! She loves sharing her experiences through blog posts, video editing, photography, and more!