Best Countries and Cities To Travel on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With the Spring semester almost coming to an end, we can finally start planning our summer vacations and travel plans before students have to return to campus this fall. However, it leads to a huge questions for college students, how much does it cost? In general, travelling costs could range between $3,000 to $7,000 just for a few weeks within a country. Some of these expensive trips are in countries such as, Japan, South Korea, France, Italy, Switzerland, and Australia as some notable mentions. With the majority of money accounting for airplane tickets, transportation, hotels, food, and entertainment. “So where are some good places to travel?” A lot of people tend to forget that the United States, Latin America, and Southeast Asia are very vast. With so much culture, different regions to visit, and a lot of beautiful attractions to visit. Hence, here is a list of some budget friendly cities and countries to visit this summer vacation.

czech republic

If you ever anticipated travelling to Europe, experience eastern European nations like the Czech Republic. This historic nation is located in Central Europe and is considered very safe to travel, the crime rates are very low and pickpocketing is not even that common. The Czech Republic it is bordered by Austria to the south, Germany to the west, Poland, and Slovakia to the southeast. At the heart of it all is the culturally beautiful capital, Prague. Consisting of old breweries, fine dining, medieval castles, churches, live music, and many ancient monuments, there is never a dull moment in this city. In 2018, Prague came in as the third cheapest holiday destination in Europe with a total cost of 58.98 USD (1,301.77 Czech Koruna). Also, public transportation is the best way to get around the country since they have such a good public transportation network. Use busses, trains, and tramway for long distance travels and walk around the cities to experience the Astronomical Clock at night and Prague’s Old Town Square. For a complete travel guide to the Czech Republic, click here. Also, click here for an honest guide on where to eat traditional Czech food.

Romania

Located in southeastern Europe, Romania is nation that preserves its wildlife and culture for centuries. Its preserved medieval towns and many ancient castles and churches, notably Bran Castle that has been associated with the Dracula legend. Overall, Romania is a safe country to travel to and is considered to be a welcoming travel destination. The country is considered one of the least expensive countries in Europe, with an average of $68 USD a day that goes to food and local transportation. Go see the Palace of Parliament, King Mihai Park, Romanian National Museum of Art, and the National Museum of Romanian History. If you love nature, Romania’s historic Saxon city of Brașov is known for it’s beautiful scenic mountains, and canyon trails. For a complete travel guide to Romania, click here.

@elisolidum

Reply to @alexa.hagiu I definitely still have much more of Romania to explore, but I loved it there! #travel #tiktoktravel #travelblogger #romania #fyp

♬ Bloom (Bonus Track) – The Paper Kites

CHILE

Chile is a long, narrow nation stretching across the coast of South America. With more than 6,000 km of the Pacific Ocean’s coastline, this country makes for a good summer vacation. Visit Viña del Mar and Pan de Azúcar National Park for beautiful beaches and stone moi sculptures from Easter Island. Then, go to Santiago for the Plaza de Armas, Parque Metropolitano, and Santa Lucia Hill. With 3-star hotels costing around $65 USD and 4-star hotels averaging at $172, you will not have to break the bank for a nice hotel in Chile. Another alternative is staying in hostels such as Jaguar Hostel. This beautiful living house is located in Viña, only four blocks away from beach, bars, and mall. As for food, the Mercado Central de Santiago is one of the main seafood markets with restaurants inside. While meal prices may vary, the average cost for food in Chile is $17, 839 Chilean Pesos ($22.83 in USD). For some Instagram worthy pictures, head over to Patagonia for the beautiful mountain peaks and the abundance of glaciers and wildlife. (To plan a trip to Patagonia click here for more details)

BOLIVIA

Located in central South America, Bolivia is a beautiful country filled with terrain Andes Mountains and the Amazon Basin rainforest. I high recommend going to La Paz, one of Bolivia’s main cities that is known for its shopping centers, restaurants, and a huge traveler community. Then head to Salar de Uyuni, the world’s largest salt flat at over 10,000 kilometers. Though this salt flat is home to rare and unique species of wildlife, it harbors many pink flamingos. If you want more beachy vibes, head further to Copacabana. Copacabana is Bolivia’s most popular beach on Lake Titicaca and one of the world’s largest high-altitude lakes. In the middle of Lake Titicaca, head over to Isla del Sol. This island is known to be the birthplace of the sun and Inca bloodline, being deemed as one of the most sacred islands in South America. Come during the afternoon or early morning at this peaceful island to watch the sunsets and sunrises. For information about prices, transportation, etc. click here

@awakened_traveling

First day in La Paz, Bolivia 🇧🇴 travel lapaz bolivia solotravel backpacking plazamurillo adventure traveltips femaletraveler

♬ FEEL THE GROOVE – Queens Road, Fabian Graetz

argentina

With Argentina covering an area of 2,780,400 km2, this nation has so much to offer to travelers. Argentina is quite affordable for those bringing in high-value currencies, though it’s more expensive than most other South American countries. If on a tight budget, expect to spend as little as US $22-30 per day, including hostel accommodation, cheap eats, and local public transport. Go to Parque Nacional Los Glaciers for some Instagram worthy pictures. These Glaciers are protected by the federal government in Santa Cruz Province, Argentina and covers nearly 2,806.68 sq. miles. In the north, discover Mount Fitz Roy for beautiful mountain views and hiking, The Fitz Roy trek is about 13.3 miles and requires a 8-10 hours to complete. If hiking is not your thing, look not further than exploring the capital, Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires is known as a city that never sleeps, famous for its amazing nightlife, which ranges from big clubs to hidden venue gems around the city. Click here to see a complete travel guide. To know where to get street food and traditional Argentinean cuisine, click here.

thailand

If you can’t afford a trip to some of the major East Asian countries, look no further than exploring southeast Asia. Thailand is known for its tropical beaches, ancient ruins, royal palaces, and opulent displays of Buddha. In general, airplane tickets to Thailand are expensive however, one you arrived it is fairly cheap. Most travelers spend around 3,241 Thai baht ($97 USD per day) and backpacking travelers spend on average, 481 Thai baht ($14 USD) on meals and 384 baht ($12) on transportation. Visit over 300 islands by renting a longtail boat for the day and finding private islands among the coast. Visit Bangkok for the most famous floating market located 60 miles from the city. There are private tours to do a full Bangkok highlights tour and the floating market for $100, click here for details.

@riotravelers

Follow us if you love travel 🙌🏼✈️🌎 #travel #thailand #tiktoktravel

♬ I Lived – Kenny Packer

laos

Located between Thailand and Vietnam, Laos is a southeast Asian country known for the Mekong River and mountainous area. With most 3-star hotels costing $28 a night and 4-star hotels averaging to about $78, visiting this country is fairly inexpensive. Visit the rushing waterfalls and natural pools of Kuang Si Waterfall and sacred Buddhist statues that can be found across this country. You can also visit ancient Buddhist temples in Luang Prabang, this town is a UNESCO World Heritage site because the preservation of spiritual practices and customs. For the more adventurous travelers, go hiking in Vang Vieng. This town is located north of Vientiane Province surrounded by striking scenery and the Nam Song River. For a 10-day itinerary travel guide, click here for more details.

@panda.films

Let’s go to Laos when the covid is over!!🇱🇦@travelwithkissa #fyp #tiktoklaos🇱🇦 #laos #travel #avicii

♬ The Nights – Avicii

vietnam

Known for its beaches, rivers, and bustling cities, Vietnam is one of the most affordable places to travel in Southeast Asia. The overall cost of living in Vietnam is lower than Thailand, even in major cities like Ho Chi Minh City. You can expect to pay 20%-30% less than you would in Thailand, although flights are not low priced. However, websites like Kayak and Hopper offer the most affordable flights and hotel prices among any of its competitors. Visit the turquoise waters of Halong Bay and Bai Tu Long Bay to explore uncrowded caves and tiny beaches of the coast of Vietnam. For transportation, rent scooters for as low as $5 and explore the cities for free. After venturing the city, visit the coffee-making region, Buon Ma Thuot. This regional capital of the central highlands is home to gorgeous waterfalls and traditional Vietnamese villages. Buon Ma Thuot is also the capital of Vietnam’s thriving coffee industry. If you can’t visit the coffee heartland, “be sure to taste a Vietnamese egg coffee while you’re in Hanoi,” says Wanderlust‘s executive director Jackie Scully. “I loved the Note coffee house right by the main lake in the capital. Covered in uplifting post-its from travellers from across the world, it was more than just a caffeine boost.”

@staywildwithkirst

Vietnam.. the home of Pho, spring rolls, and a heck of a good time. Tag ur pals and force them to travel with you. 😇 #traveltiktok #travelvietnam

♬ violin_plus_quarantine_challenge by latiana_music – Latiana

savannah, ga

For those that cannot afford 1,000 flights to go outside the country, look no further than adventuring different cities in the United States. I feel like the United States is such a vast country, with every state having it’s own vernacular, culture, and different landmarks. I highly recommend visiting Savannah, Georgia for this reason. Savannah is a coastal city that is separated from South Caroline by the Savannah River. Known for its rich history during the Civil War, Savannah is home to multiple historic monuments and museums. If you’re not a major history buff, Savannah offers a phenomenal nightlife experience. With multiple bars, karaoke, and live music, Savannah is rich in history and festivals. Ideally come around between March to July for amazing weather dripping in Spanish moss and Southern charm.

memphis, TN

Located on the Mississippi River, Memphis is famous for the influential strains of blues, soul, and rock n’ roll music that originated in the city. Take a tour of the famous Sun Studio, known for recording songs for iconic singers like Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, and B.B. King. Visit Presley’s Graceland Mansion and other musical landmarks that have influenced the sound of rock n’ roll and blues music. For nightlife, visit Beale Street for some lively bars and music and try Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken.

knoxville, tn

With a cost of living index at round 86/100, Knoxville is one of the most affordable cities to visit in Tennessee. Home of the infamous University of Tennessee, Knoxville has a lot to offer for a college town. Free visits to the Knoxville Museum of Art and Knoxville Botanical Garden at the University of Tennessee are some just a couple of recommendations. Enjoy southern comfort food at Tupelo Honey, Southern Grit, and Ruby Sunshine for brunch. Finally, head over to the Farmer’s Market on Saturday to enjoy some local produce, foods, and drinks.

san antonio, tx

Located in south-central Texas, San Antonio is filled with history, art, and culture. Visit the historic past of the Alamo which features interactive tours and exhibits to experience and learn more about the frontier life in early Texas. You can also visit the River walk for shopping, food, and sightseeing at one of the largest urban ecosystems in the nation. For some other activities, visit the San Antonio Museum of Art and the Natural Bridge Caverns for free admission. As for booking hotels, you can book for around $140 a night or book with third-party websites and apps like Kayak and Hopper to offer the low-cost deals.

Born and raised in Miami, FL, Amanda Ultimo is a Management and International Business major at The University of Georgia. Amanda has served as Lead Campus Ambassador for The Women's Network's FIU chapter and writer for HerCampus FIU, both organization that help to empower collegiate women.