This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Life lessons are what shape us and what makes us have certain attitude towards certain situations. Mistakes, grieve, loss, anxiety, feeling like you are not enough. Every little thing contributes to shaping you into a better person. Throughout my life I have gathered several advise from the people I have met or people I have grown up with, whether or not they have given it to me verbally or shown me through their actions.

The book Life lessons by Diane von Furstenberg makes several points on how to become the women many want to be. When I first saw the title I thought that it was going to be an uninteresting book rather than something that would inspire me. I was so wrong. The book gives us an insight on the life lessons she received from her mom; Diane admired the way she always carried herself through anything and that is what I admire from the book as well. 

There is a variety of advise in the book, all of which came from her mom and these are a couple of them.

It is important to not dwell on the dark side of things and look for the light. If one door closes, there is always another one open. 

You should never blame others for what befalls you no matter how hard it might be, you are responsible for your own life. 

There is no reason to blame your parents, your friends, or the weather. Accept the reality you have and deal with it. Turn negatives into positives and be proud to be a woman. 

Nourish the relationship you have with yourself; it is important to put yourself first.

Inner beauty is more important than outer beauty. Accept yourself and be grateful for what you have to give as a person to the world. Looks are fleeting and cannot be your only positive asset.

There is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs. There is beauty in persistence; you can make your dreams come true bu there is no shortcuts to it. There are no results without hard work.

Diane von Furstenberg is one of the women I have as an example to become who I want to be. As well as other women that have inspired me in many different aspects like Nina Garcia, Anna Wintour, Coco Chanel, and my mom. I like to carry a piece of advise from each person that I admire so that in a way, I feel like I have several people to look up to that have gone through so much and have still made it possible to inspire and make an impact whether that is on a large crowd or their loved ones and I encourage you to do the same. Having role models in life is important, not to only learn from them but to understand that life happens for all us and it is inevitable to avoid its consequences.

I am an international FIU student from Ecuador majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications. I have always been very creative and I love everything related to art, that's why writing is not only a passion for me but something that is part of who I am. Moving to New York City after graduation is my ultimate goal. One thing that keeps me motivated through it all is knowing that what I do now serves for my growth and the realization of my goals in the future.