Becoming a Meal-Prep Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Before we get into the recipes, here are some tips on how to actually start. 

1. Start Simple. Don’t try to make an entire month’s worth of meals. Start day by day, grow week by week!

2. Make a Schedule. Figure out what day is best to actually start cooking. My favorite day is Sunday because I can map out my meals for the whole week.

3. Have your ride-or-die recipes. Knowing which recipes are quick and easy can totally save you when you realize its 8pm, your life is falling apart, and you have no food for the week. 

Breakfast 

Make-yourself Breakfast Parfaits

The first recipe is easy, all you will be needing is mason jars, fruit, yogurt, and granola!

First, add a few tablespoons of your favorite fruit to the bottom of your mason jar. 

Add some yogurt and granola, stir,  and voila! 

Now you have a perfect, fruity parfait to store up to 3 days!

Lunch

Salad Mason Jars

HUGE plus if you’re a procrastinator like me, this is one of the easiest-aka laziest recipes which have gone totally viral. All you need are your greens and favorite salad compliments like corn, broccoli, chickpeas; and of course, a mason jar.

Now lets get to layering!

First start off with the salad dressing, harder veggies like carrots; soft veggies like tomatoes; then meats, cheeses, nuts, or anything you don’t want to get soggy from the dressing; NOW BRING ON YOUR GREENS!

Taaa-daaaa! A healthy lunch in under 10 minutes.

Dinner

Pasta With Tomato Cream Sauce

I saved the best for last. Although this can’t be done in 10 minutes, all your hard work will be rewarded once you take that first bite!

Lets start with the sauce:

Heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for about a minute. Pour in the tomato sauce and add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste. Stir and cook over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. 

Remove the sauce from heat and add in the cup of cream until you get to that red-orange color. 

Lastly, mix in the pasta after cooking and top with some basil–and you’re done!

I hope you guys enjoyed! Now get to eating!

Toodles!

Dani 

picture(s) one & twopicture threepicture fourpicture(s) five & six

Instagram: @daniiurrea Twitter: @daniiurrea