This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In today’s life women have come to not only grow but dominate in the workforce. As more empowered women step on to become CEOs or even campaign to run for president, we have risen the bar. What does it mean to be a true Girl Boss?

The Girlboss Media website explains, “Girlboss is a community of strong, curious, and ambitious women redefining success on our own terms. We hope to inform, entertain, and inspire action through the content and experiences we create. We are unapologetic in our beliefs and values of supporting girls and women who are chasing dreams both big and small in a shame-free, lame-free zone.“ It all starts with your mentality. If you’ve ever heard the quote “believe you can and you will,” use it. It is not just something to post as a wallpaper, its something a lot of individuals should practice. Confidence is key in absolutely everything we do and every decision we make. Confidence boosts your decision making, leaving no room for doubt in your agenda and can go as far as even better our appearance. A true confident woman can conquer much more than she can ever imagine just by having enough self assurance. Beauty and brains. Yes it’s true, you CAN have both. Stereotypically, people believe that you can only have one. That if you are beautiful that must be your only virtue, however, many beautiful inspiring and powerful women have come to turn that “or” into an “and.” We should take these role models as inspirations or even better become our own.

When we think of the best version of ourselves we often tend to compare ourselves to others and point out our own flaws. Often this gets in the way of how we carry ourselves and might even affect our own morale. However, its not just with beauty and self image. Sometimes we tend to compare ourselves to more intelligent and successful women and instead of being inspired through it we set ourselves up to fail by simply giving up. We need to believe that we can be who we want to be. Success is also about self control. Its finding motivation within yourself to be a leader and not letting yourself settle or be restrained from achieving what you want to achieve. Do what you love and love what you do. Create, inspire, motivate. Be your own boss and be your own hard worker.

Apply it to your current life: The best time to start building a career is now. As college students we are offered so much opportunity. Now is the time to get involved and find internships, make connections, thrive academically and apply what you learn. Make these techniques and mentality a lifestyle. Make decisions that would benefit you and your future, exceed your limits and dream big. You can do it all, this is your year and this is what it means to be a #GirlBoss.

Cover Photo Credit

I am a student at Florida International University who is passionate about the power of expression and empowering women. I am a proud member of Alpha Xi Delta majoring in Marketing and International relations and hope to write to inform, inspire, or even to entertain through my works.