This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The holidays are here! Yule tide carols and cheer abound. If you’re trying to be eco-conscious, this time of year may make it hard to do so. But have no fear! Here are a few tips and tricks for you and that jolly old St.Nick to use this holiday season.

Shop on Etsy

There are so many incredible creators out there that don’t get enough love, especially during this pandemic. But you can change that. Support creators selling their work on Etsy. Not only are you going to be supporting small business, but Etsy is the only online “shopping destination” that offsets 100% of the carbon emission caused by shipping. Meaning, they try to reduce their carbon footprint by donating to various organizations that invest in protecting the environment.

Just Ask

If you’re looking to buy directly from an independent store or creator, email or direct message them to find out what they’re doing to make their business a bit more eco-friendly. From there decide if that store is right for you and your purchasing needs.

Add a Note

When having your gifts shipped to you, add a note when you check out. Ask if the store or creator to use as little packaging as possible. This will help reduce the waste you end up getting.

If you do end up getting bubble wrap or anything like it, reuse it for your own packages! You can turn it into a cool gift wrap, too. Or keep it near your desk as a stress reliever.

You can even email the company and ask them if they’d take back any unwanted packing material.

Use Some Seed Paper

Use Some Seed Paper

Instead of giving out regular Christmas cards, use seed paper instead! It’s easy to make and it makes it special. The receiver can plant their Christmas card and watch it turn into a bouquet of flowers. You can even use recycled paper, like bank invoices and political pamphlets, to create them! The paper will protect the seeds before its planted, then biodegrade as the plants grow. You won’t be adding to the ever-growing pile of waste and it turns into a fun little project.

Here are just a few tips on how to be eco-friendly this year. While this may not be an ideal holiday season, we can still be kind to Mother Earth. 

Julia Gomez is a student of journalism at Florida International University and hopes to become an investigative journalist. She is experienced in writing about politics and pop culture, and has a passion for music and photography.