Barbara Bush’s Passing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

On Tuesday April 17, Barbara Bush, the wife of former U.S. President George H. W. Bush and mother of former U.S. President George W. Bush passed away. Barbara Bush was 92 years old at the time of her passing. On Sunday April 15, the Bush family released a statement regarding the former First Lady’s health. It was announced that after a long battle of health issues, Mrs. Bush would no longer be seeking medical treatment as she wished to live whatever time she had left in comfort of her home with her loved ones. The statement released ended with “She is surrounded by a family she adores, and appreciates the many kind messages and especially the prayers she is receiving.”  Throughout Sunday evening many sent their prayers and best wishes to Mrs. Bush and the rest of the Bush family. Unfortunately, two days later she would pass away.

According to the Washington Post, as First Lady Mrs. Bush “established the nonprofit Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy, to which she donated nearly $800,000 in after-tax proceeds from her best-selling “Millie’s Book” (1990), which channeled the voice of her pet dog. She also encouraged people to volunteer at homeless shelters and Head Start projects and she promoted AIDS awareness when the disease was still highly stigmatized and misunderstood.” During her term as First Lady she had one of the highest ratings for most admired women in the U.S. and worked to end the negative stigma surrounding AIDS. 

Photo Source

After her passing, her son’s George W. and Jeb Bush, released the following statements, “Barbara Bush was a fabulous First Lady and a woman unlike any other who brought levity, love, and literacy to millions,” her eldest son said in a statement. “To us, she was so much more. Mom kept us on our toes and kept us laughing until the end” and “I’m exceptionally privileged to be the son of George Bush and the exceptionally gracious, gregarious, fun, funny, loving, tough, smart, graceful woman who was the force of nature known as Barbara Bush.”