Amazon’s New Binge-Worthy Show “Modern Love”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Amazon Prime Video premiered their new romantic anthology TV series “Modern Love” on Oct. 18. The series is based on true stories written in The New York Times column entitled “Modern Love.” The eight stand-alone episodes explore the many definitions and acts of love in today’s modern society. 

The New York Times column that inspired this series was launched in 2004. The weekly column consists of personal essays written by readers about their personal experiences with love in its many forms. Written and directed by John Carney, the TV adaption is filled with an A-list cast of actors like Dev Patel, Anne Hathaway, Tina Fey, Cristin Milioti, and many more. 

(Source: Twitter @primevideo)

Each episode touches upon the idea of love and how it can be expressed in many ways not just romantically. 

The first episode entitled “When The Doorman Is Your Main Man” follows the story of Maggie (Cristin Milioti) who lives in a New York City apartment with a doorman named Guzmin. Trying to find love and “the one” in a city filled with millions of people can be a challenge and Guzmin watches over Maggie in her search for an eligible companion. 

(Source: Twitter @primevideo)

Some of the roughly 30-minute episodes can leave you in tears and with a new perspective on love and life. The second episode starring Dev Patel as Joshua and Julie (Catherine Keener) a “prying journalist” is an emotional story told in flashbacks as Joshua shares his story about his recent heartbreak. 

(Source: giphy)

Other notable episodes are “Take Me as I Am, Whoever I Am,” “Hers Was a World of One,” and “The Race Grows Sweeter Near Its Final Lap.” Each episode has its own unique story and message about love that will make you keep watching and binge in one weekend. 

The highly anticipated series was well-received by viewers and has been renewed for a second season, set to debut in 2020. 

Even though Amazon Prime Video is a premium subscription, you can watch Modern Love with a free 30-day trial.  

Allison is currently a Broadcast Media major at Florida International University. Passionate about writing and reporting, Allison aspires to one day work in a newsroom. She hopes to share her love for music, movies, fashion, and all things pop culture through her writing.