This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

After an explosive and revealing interview with Oprah, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry exposed the true colors of the Royal family. After publicly announcing that they’re stepping away from their roles as senior royals last year, the royal couple made their first TV interview together to shed light on what led to their royal exit and where they are now. 

The couple explained that they believed they each saved each other and their son Archie. They also announced the gender of their new baby. A girl will join Archie and the couple this summer. When asked if they have regrets about their decision, Meghan replied that her regret was believing the royal family would protect her as they so evidently made it clear they would not be. 

The couple revealed that one of the biggest turning points for them was the crusader against Meghan at the hands of the media and how the family did absolutely nothing to protect them from it. Harry said his decision to leave was because of his concern that “history is repeating itself,” referring to Diana. They also shut down the claim that the Queen was not blindsided by this decision and shared that the Queen was always kind to Meghan.

Prince Harry revealed that he and his brother are currently on “different paths,” and their relationship needs some space. This has also led to many speculations that maybe William was the one who made the crude and racist comment on the potential skin color of baby Archie. On the other hand, some people speculate that it might have been Andrew that made this comment. Harry revealed that his relationship with his father is strained, as his father has not answered his calls in over 6 months. 

In a sad moment of the interview, Meghan revealed that she was suffering from suicidal thoughts last year and was afraid to be left alone because of this. She was at the peak of being the punching back for the UK press that led her down a dark path. The institution essentially tried to control Meghan. She tells Oprah she couldn’t even leave the house because she was advised against it. 

Another interesting moment was when Meghan addressed claims of making Kate cry days leading to the wedding. “The reverse of that happened,” revealing that it was Kate that had made Meghan cry and even apologized after it. This goes to show how the media and the institution itself were set to make Meghan the bully and enemy of the family rather than trying to protect her.

I'm a senior at FIU, majoring in Criminal Justice on the Pre-Law track. My goal is to one day go to law school and become a lawyer. I love to read mystery and thriller books that keep me guessing. I am an advocate for our generation being a catalyst to social justice. You could say Elle Woods is who I channel in life.