All About: The 89th Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Which one had our eyes glued to the TV this past Sunday? Was it the glamourous gowns, inspirational victories, or not so dazzling slip-ups?

Hosted by popular comedian, Jimmy Kimmel, the 89th Annual Oscars included all viewers would expect from one of the most prestigious awards shows to air. Most nominations went to the contributors of the following films: Arrival, Fences, Hacksaw Ridge, Hidden Figures, Lion, Manchester By The Sea, Moonlight, and La La Land. Directed by, Damien Chazelle, the musical La La Land tied Titanic for most nominations received by a single film. So who were the elite?

1. Best Picture: Moonlight

• Oops, there was an error. After, awarding La La Land for Best Picture, it was shortly announced there was a misunderstanding. Directed by a South Florida native, Barry Jenkins, Moonlight is a coming-of-age drama which follows the journey of an African-American boy struggling to find a place in the underprivileged world of Liberty City.

2. Best Director: Damien Chazelle

• Only 32-years-old, Chazelle becomes the youngest winner of this category for his work with the previously mentioned musical, La La Land. Not a stranger to the Academy Awards, he was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay back in 2015 for his writing in the film, Whiplash.

3. Best Actor in a Leading Role: Casey Affleck

• Although Affleck faced public scrutiny over his nomination due to some past sexual harassment allegations, his victory was not unexpected. His performance in Manchester By The Sea, was said to be one of the strongest roles up for the nomination. The film entails the story about a man who becomes responsible of his teenage nephew after the death of his brother.

4. Best Actress in a Leading Role: Emma Stone

• There is no denying that Stone was the golden girl of award season – already having won this year’s Golden Globe Award in the same category, it was a no brainer. Her quirky role as an aspiring actress in La La Land was one of the most light-hearted yet promising performances of the year and my personal favorite!

5. Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Mahershala Ali

• His role as a Miami drug-dealer in the Best Picture, Moonlight, showcases his range as an actor as he was also a supporting role in another nominated film of the night, Hidden Figures. The real headline is his win constituting the first Muslim Actor to win an Academy Award.

6. Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Viola Davis

• Delivering one of the most emotional yet encouraging acceptance speeches, Davis was recognized for her always incredible presentation in the film, Fences. Also, she became the most decorated African-American actress for winning an Oscar, Emmy and Tony Award for her performances.

Here’s a link to see the rest of the winners: Click Here