matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

After 18 Years, Victoria’s Secret Stops Airing its Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

After 18 years, it sounds as if Victoria’s Secret has finally decided to mature with other brands- out of fantasy and into reality.

In July of this year, model Shanina Shaik disclosed that the brand’s annual fashion show will not take place in 2019, without providing a possible return date. She did state; however, that she believes the show will return, at some point:

“Unfortunately the Victoria’s Secret show won’t be happening this year,” she said. “It’s something that I’m not used to because every year around this time I’m training like an angel.”

“But I’m sure in the future something will happen, which I’m pretty sure about. I’m sure they’re trying to work on branding and new ways to do the show because it’s the best show in the world.”

The fashion show had a mere 3.3 million viewers in 2018. This might sound like a lot but compared to the 9.7milion viewers in 2013, it’s a major downfall. In November of 2018, just a month before the fashion show airing date, Victoria’s Secret received backlash regarding its lack of inclusivity, after chief marketing officer Ed Razek’s interview with Vogue, when asked about the Instagram generation’s needs (for inclusivity/diversity):

“Shouldn’t you have transsexuals in the show? No. No, I don’t think we should. Well, why not? Because the show is a fantasy. It’s a 42-minute entertainment special. That’s what it is. It is the only one of its kind in the world, and any other fashion brand in the world would take it in a minute, including the competitors that are carping at us. And they carp at us because we’re the leader. They don’t talk about each other. I accept that. I actually respect it. Cool. But we’re nobody’s third love. [Editor’s note: ThirdLove is a competitor that has received investment from a former CEO of Victoria’s Secret stores.] We’re their first love. And Victoria’s Secret has been women’s first love from the beginning.”

Well, it seems as if more and more (millions) of women are stepping out of the fantasy and into a new (to Razek and Victoria’s Secret, in general) reality- one where they, their real bodies, are their first love.

Many brands have taken note of this and acted upon it. However, Victoria’s Secret has continued to rely on the idea of a fantasy sucking viewers and consumers in, when that simply won’t work anymore. The idea of feeling like a bombshell isn’t as appealing as executives like Ed Razek might think. Especially, when the idea is portrayed by angels that set unrealistic standards for what “beauty” and “sexy” are.

It’s unfortunate that it has taken the loss of millions of viewers for VS to take the needs of millions of women wanting to feel represented in the media into account. Instead of genuinely wanting to be inclusive. Nevertheless, if a brand as stuck in its ways as VS can learn from their mistakes, then there seems to be hope for the fashion industry as a whole.

Since the announcement of the cancellation of the show, a bit more of inclusivity is apparent throughout ads, on social media at least. Particularly, in the PINK extension of VS.

What do you think? Do big, veteran brands shrug their shoulders when being criticized because of their past success?

I discuss this in one of my Youtube videos and would love to hear what you guys have to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncbrzf3zY-E&t=119s

References: 

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/victorias-secret-fashion-show-2019-cancelled-shanina-shaik-angel-runway-a9028061.html

https://www.vogue.com/article/victorias-secret-ed-razek-monica-mitro-interview

Daniela is a senior majoring in English Literature and Criminal Justice at Florida International University.