Advice Column: No Time, Just Clocks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

“How did it get so late so soon? It’s night before it’s afternoon. December is here before it’s June. My goodness how the time has flown  How did it get so late so soon?” ― Dr. Seuss

The concept of Time is astonishing. I’m sure you’ve caught yourself telling friends and family the very familiar saying, “Wow time flies!” Well in all honesty as a 20 something year old college student, I agree with you! Time has abruptly swept us off our feet and so here we are desperately trying to figure out the meaning of life and our much “greater purpose”.

So in relation to our lives and Time, today my teacher asked us to name something America valued. You can believe that Time was one of the top values, along with beauty, power, wealth, and freedom. But you see, when she mentioned time, she also mentioned how we have all of these sayings regarding time. “Time is money”, “That’s a waste of time”, and “Time is precious”. After the 90 minute class, I found myself walking down that long stretch of walkway in GC thinking about this so called “Time” we tend to overcompensate for, allowing it to rule over us? In GC alone you can see people bobbing and weaving through the crowd of people, you see people with their expensive laptops anxious to submit class assignments, and others simple enjoying a much needed break, as well as some just killing time with friends till their next class. (There we go! Another saying with Time!)

Time. Time. Time.

My thoughts are travelling much faster than my fingers can type and I’m really trying to grasp what I want to say here, bear with me.

So there’s Time, people worship it. What do we do in the morning? We turn off our alarm clock, we gradually wake up and begin our chaotic day. We have to be somewhere at a particular time, we can’t be late, we have to rush, we get impatient, oh and then there’s that infamous Miami traffic. We do all of these things because without Time, how would we know when to be at a particular place? How would we know..anything? I sometimes catch myself admiring people who have no need to base their lives on such strict time frames, but in the city we live in, you always need to be somewhere.

Then I started thinking.. The concept of Time is man-made. There’s no such thing as Time, only clocks. I mean just this college year alone I’m sure you’ve caught yourself asking.. “Where did all the time go?” I mean, did it really go anywhere? Was it even there? Are our lives just one extremely long day of the sun and moon rising and falling? Is there even such thing as the “present”? I feel like our lives are just a series of past events, and then a series of events we tend to anticipate in the future. The good thing is that the future comes at us one day at a time, not too overwhelming right? 

My point? If you think about it, we’ve all come from some sort of adversity. Whether it was from the people we choose to surround ourselves with, where we’re from, the relationships we’ve had or have on a daily basis, personal issues, maybe even secrets we’ve held on to or are still holding on to. We really are soldiers, this daily battle between life and time are constant!

What’s the moral? You waste your time? You waste your life. Master time? You’ll master your life. You must dictate the clock and not be dictated by it. Try not to be a worrier, but a warrior. There really is so much that life gives us. So are you going to determine how that coin is spent? Or have someone or even something spend it for you? These are our years to enjoy, to live, to experience, and find just who we are in this big floating rock that we call Earth.

Stuck in a rut and need advice? Tell us your concern here and we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible! 

Cristina Gomez is a 22 year old college student who in her words, is "looking to find the greater meaning in life through writing". She is currently a senior at Florida International University studying Elementary Education with hopes of achieving a masters degree in Higher Education. She has been actively involved on campus as a Peer Advisor, Alternative Breaks Site Leader, a NUFP Fellow, Rho Gamma, and part of a Panhellenic Organization.
Laura Hernandez is the founder of Her Campus FIU.  She is currently a junior and is majoring in Political Science, Women's Studies and International Relations. She is also passionate about writing and communications. Laura thinks that Her Campus FIU is the perfect way to connect with collegiettes at FIU's commuter campus.