This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Art has made me who I am today. Since I was a kid, I’ve been surrounded by Art. Art sang me lullabies that made me fall asleep when I felt the sky would fall, and it painted my toes to make me discover new ways in which I could imprint my existence into the world. Faces of strangers became new drawings, and the flow of water as I washed my hands after I painted became my new favorite sound. I thought Art was just entertainment, until I was in danger.

A fading parental figure and an anxious aching heart. Art took me in its arms and hugged me so tight it let words flow out of my brain into a piece of paper at the same pace tears fell down my cheeks; and that’s how I discovered my love for writing. The aching feelings went away as I put commas into paragraphs and added words to a new stanza. Art taught me how powerful me and my words were. Since then, I have not doubted myself and the influence of my words and creativity. I had found a new way to imprint my existence into the world, and this time I would not let go of it. In today’s world, words and images prevail.

There is no action taken without words and there is no believing without visual proof. The power that these have upon people is crucial to the decisions they make in their everyday lives and the actions they take upon different situations. But how does Art relate to this? It’s simple, Art is everywhere. Outstanding figures and companies have been raised by Art too. It has shaped them into who they are and who they want to persuade, making them win prizes and being recognized all over the globe; it has made them original, and that is what I want Art to do with me through life, to prepare me and build me into a professional. Not only that, but to make me grow in different ways in which I could immerse myself into other’s thoughts, desires, cultures, and backgrounds to produce a connection through communication. Art has raised me to become a better me and it will continue to shape me until I find my ways to succeed.

I am an international FIU student from Ecuador majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications. I have always been very creative and I love everything related to art, that's why writing is not only a passion for me but something that is part of who I am. Moving to New York City after graduation is my ultimate goal. One thing that keeps me motivated through it all is knowing that what I do now serves for my growth and the realization of my goals in the future.