This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Photo Credit 

It’s Fall again, and the holidays are approaching. Being away from family does not mean you can’t get festive while away for college, living in a dorm. Use this time to cozy up your humble abode. Grab your roommate and let her in on these cool tips to spice up your dorm room for autumn!

Light up with candles

First, get the aroma going with a few scented candles. Rich pumpkin pies, candy apples, cinnamon and French vanilla flavors, these scents are sure to make your room smell and feel cozier with little to no effort. Bath and Body Works has an array of scented candles that can be purchased with sales going on all throughout the year. You can even check out Target or HomeGoods for Fall season candles. 

Photo Credit

Customize your bedroom with the autumn color scheme 

Believe it or not, changing your bedspread can have a major difference in the overall tone and style of your room. Yellow is known as a happy color, tone it down by choosing a softer, warmer hue. You can even swap for colors such as warm mahogany to rustic orange. 

Photo by PoppiePack

DIY Wall décor

Wall décor is the absolute best way to gear up for the fall. A fall-themed tapestry will give you automatic fall vibes… but you can also grab washitape and print-outs of your favorite fall inspiration photos on Pinterest to hang up on your wall for a more customized look. Another way to get your DIY-on is by collecting leaves from your nature walk to paste on your wall. It’ll be a reminder of the fall and seasons greetings. 

Overall Room Glow

Lights are a year-round classic and decorative tool that works well in all seasons. It does not matter if you’ve had them for the holidays; have them up for Fall and you’re sure to keep them up for the rest of the year. Don’t be shy with the lights!

Photo Credit

Pumpkins

Nothing invites the Fall season more than having a couple of pumpkins laying around. Take a moment to update your study area with a few decorative pumpkins from Target or HomeGoods. You can even incorporate pumpkins in the common living area to add a bit of pizazz. 

Pillows 

Pillows add a pop of color to any situation. You can switch out the pillowcases later when Fall is over. A red pillow can be used all the way through Thanksgiving and Christmas, so keep that in mind!

Photo Credit 

Layout your throws

Photo Credit

Throws are an excellent way to add a temporary pop of color to the shared living space. They are also a cozy addition to throw on while studying. Try adding an orange throw to instantly lighten the tone of the room. 

These tips will not only help you get into the Fall spirit, but they are also quick and easy! 

What did you think of these ideas? Do you have any tried and true tips that work for you every Fall? Leave a comment below.

JoAnne is a Journalism major at Florida International University. When she's not writing, you can find her collecting tea, exploring the great outdoors, and capturing beautiful portraits. She enjoys writing on lifestyle, health and travel. Find her on Instagram at @joannechrls