The 6 Stages of Your Period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

That time of the month. The one where you wish mother nature would send you a post card saying “Congrats! You’re not pregnant!” instead of hitting you with 5-7 days of pure torture. Well, at least we’re all in this together right? Just kidding, it sucks. What better way to lighten the mood than to share the 5 stages we all go through while having our period? 

Stage 1: It’s Here! 

That awkward moment when you’re in class and you feel something oddly familiar… Grab your bag and run for the nearest bathroom before you ruin your favorite pair of pants.

Stage 2: The Cramps 

Feeling like you are going to die every second of the day because no hot towel, pill, or belly rub will help stop the agony. You’d think by now we’d get the hang of it… Think again! 

Stage 3: The Rollercoaster of Emotions

One minute you’re laughing at a funny video of a puppy trying to bark for the first time, then you’re crying from just how adorable that puppy is, suddenly you think back to when your parents said no to getting you that puppy for your 6th birthday.

Stage 4: Cravings, Cravings, Cravings

When we crave it, we NEED it! It doesn’t matter if you have $3.47 in your bank account you’ll find a way to get your craving satisfied one way or another. Usually, it’s the unhealthiest junk we can think of, but this is the time to really #treatyoself! 

Stage 5: Junk Food Acne

Did you think you’d be able to eat all that junk without it coming back to haunt you? Oh no baby boo. Waking up in the morning and finding 3 brand new zits on your face is just icing on the cake. 

Stage 6: Sleeping is Our BFF

If I’m lucky enough to make it through my 8 a.m lecture without falling asleep, I’ll use my one hour break to sleep in the car. Of course, sleeping in the car isn’t enough, by the time I get home I’ll head straight for the bed and sleep for another 4 hours. By the time I wake up from my nap, it’s dinner time followed by bed time again… YAY! 

Congrats! You did it! You’ve passed all the stages of a period (or at least most of the stages). You’re finally free! 

Thumbnail Photo Credit: http://www.healthline.com

Communications major with a love for Disney, coffee, and dogs of all shapes and sizes!