mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

50 Killed in New Zealand Mass Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Friday, March 15, 2019, a shooting took place in in two of the Mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand. The terrorist attack was carried out by a white male who had posted his racist propaganda/manifesto onto social media platforms and then streamed the shooting on Facebook Live. The death toll has now gone up to 50 victims, and many more are injured or in critical condition. The manifesto has also been said to have been sent to the Prime Minister and other Law Makers just before the attack, with a total of around 70 people receiving it.

The gunman has been identified as Brenton Harrison Tarant, and will face charges for his crimes. Within 24 hours of the shooting, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern proposed stricter gun laws for the saftey of her country. You can watch her full news conference here.  

Many people are deeply wounded and hurt by the tragedy that struck this Friday, and people have already begun protesting and spreading love for the victims and their families. People have stood infront of Mosques with signs welcoming them in, saying they will stand guard while they pray. People have urged others to love their neighbors and stay safe. 

As many stories of heroism come to light, and others of hatred and racism; we stand together. May these tragedies cease from happening, and may those affected find peace, love, and healing. 

Nicole is currently a senior at Florida International University studying English. She wants to become a full-time writer for a journalistic blog or company in the future, and hopes to publish a few novels along the way. Her truest of loves include Disney, Anime, music, her dogs, writing, and Harry Potter. She is a lover of makeup, and telling people's stories from their eyes and her experiences. She is currently a Beauty Advisor at Riley Rose part-time, and hopes to continue working alongside them in the future. You can follow her journey on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/nicoli0o/ and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/nicoli0o_