5 Ways to Be an Ally for the Venezuelan Community in Miami

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

1. Educate yourself on the issue:

It is important to educate yourself when aiding in a civil movement, and with so many media outlets and various perspectives being posted on countless social media sites, the purpose of the #SOSVenezuela movement tends to get diffused. Though it is nearly impossible to be living in Miami and not knowing what is going on, below we have provided a Youtube Video made by a University of Florida student that explains “What’s Going On In Venezuela in a Nutshell” just in case you feel the need to refresh your mind. 

[pagebreak]

2. Provide aid to activists in Venezuela:

The ongoing violence in Venezuela has left many wounded and even dead. A few of the one’s who have passed include college students and even beauty pageant winners. Since we all know Venezuela’s citizens can barely afford anything on the market right now, we urge you to donate items that are of need to those that are being injured in these situations.

This Thursday, the FIU Greek community will be hosting a #DonateForVenezuela event where they will be collecting items that range from first aid supplies to feminine products to protein bars. You can view more information regarding this event on this Facebook event page

[pagebreak]

3. Positively contribute to local discussions on Venezuela:

Though some of us may not be from Venezuela, our shared and collective experiences can bring out about some effective solutions. The best way to expand your knowledge and grow your ability to advocate for Venezuela is to engage in discussions with others in the community. This way, not only are you able to further the #SOSVenezuela purpose but you’re also able to contribute information to others that may not have not known otherwise. 

This Tuesday, FIU will be hosting a discussion panel with notable Latin American experts that will be speaking about the “current political turmoil in Venezuela and the potential consequences as the conflict unfolds.” Click the embedded link for more details about this panel discussion. 

[pagebreak]

4. Participate in peaceful rallies 

From Doral to Downtown Miami, Venezuelans and allies alike have been advocating for a more peaceful Venezuela. In these rallies you can find all types of individuals that have the same passion to bring about awareness to what’s going on in Venezuela. The more solidarity, the more successful the message becomes. This past weekend, hundreds of #SOSVenezuela supporters rallied in Doral’s J.C. Bermudez Park across from the Doral Ale House. In attendance were countless Venezuelans, Colombians and Cubans rallying for peace and justice in Venezuela. More rallies throughout South Florida are expected to be announced, stay updated through here and here.

UPDATE: A vigil will be held throughout the entire week at Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami, details here.

[pagebreak]

5. Advocate on Social Media

Last but not least, social media. The most effective method for our generation to create a movement is our ability to spread awareness like wildfire. You literally have the world at your fingertips. Back in the 60’s and 70’s there was no such thing as tweets and DM’s. Back then, the ability to collectively organize was a struggle within itself. Today, all you need to collectively organize are hash-tagging, mentioning notable members in society within your tweets, and posting pictures and such on your Instagram and Facebook.

Below we have compiled a list of social media platforms for you to follow in order to stay updated with the #SOSVenezuela movement. 

Hashtags to use & follow: #SOSVenezuela, #PrayForVenezuela, #Venezuela, #ElQueSeCansaPierde, #ImYourVoiceVenezuela
Social Media Handles to follow: @VSAFIU, @CNEE,@OsmaryCNN

If you found this guide useful, share it with your friends and let them know how they can be an ally in the #SOSVenezuela movement.

Want us to update this guide with other useful info? Please email Laura at laurahernandez@hercampus.com

[pagebreak]

Photo sources:

Cover Photo – Instagram hashtag #vsafiu : @jgiggelson, @briceedu, @eveymartinezz, @danielac1701

Laura Hernandez is the founder of Her Campus FIU.  She is currently a junior and is majoring in Political Science, Women's Studies and International Relations. She is also passionate about writing and communications. Laura thinks that Her Campus FIU is the perfect way to connect with collegiettes at FIU's commuter campus.