This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

1. I steal a few breaths from the world for a minute

And then I’ll be nothing forever

And all of my memories

And all of the things I have seen will be gone

– “Me and My Husband”

Reminiscent of decades past when women’s identity became obsolete once they married. 

2. And I was so young when I behaved twenty-five

Yet now, I find I’ve grown into a tall child- 

– “First Love / Late Spring”

Sometimes when the environment you grew up in was not the best it could be, you find yourself forced to grow up quickly, and handling roles that are heavy. Then, as you grow into an adult, you find yourself unable to handle emotions, and overly depending on others. 

3. You’re the sun, you’ve never seen the night

But you hear its song from the morning birds

Well, I’m not the moon, I’m not even a star

But awake at night I’ll be singing to the birds

– “Your Best American Girl”

The most beautiful depiction of loving a person that couldn’t be any more different than you. 

4. Baby, though I’ve closed my eyes

I know who you pretend I am

– “Washing Machine Heart”

There are so many ways this can be interpreted—either knowing your partner has a false perception of you or knowing that they imagine you as a completely different person.

5. It’s just that I fell in love with a war

Nobody told me it ended

And it left a pearl in my head

And I roll it around

– “A Pearl”

Often times, the “thrill” and uncertainty about a relationship or friendship is the binding element that makes you stay. A pearl is the product of an oyster’s defense mechanism against parasites and irritants; just like that, a tumultuous relationship can leave a mark. 

I'm a Sophomore at FIU, majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. When I'm not listening to post punk music, or thrifting, you can find me daydreaming about living in a french countryside château.