This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you’re an out-of-state freshman living on campus, I want to start off by applauding your courage and independence. It’s no easy feat moving away from your hometown and starting over in a new place, where you probably don’t know anyone other than your Peer Advisor from orientation. 3 years ago, I was that freshman that moved into Panther Hall with no friends or family members in Miami. As excited as I was to begin a new chapter in my life, I was terrified of being by myself and not having my parents to depend on. The thought of “adulting” was scary and I felt that I wasn’t ready. Well just like Rachel from The Bachelorette I’m going to “keep it real” and be honest, the first year of college is always the hardest to adjust to. However, once you get the hang of it and adapt to your new life, the next 3 years will be a breeze. 

Here are 5 tips to help you survive your first year as an out-of-state freshman:

1.  Make an effort to get to know your roommates.

If you don’t know anyone on campus yet, it’s safe to say your roommates will probably become your first friends in college. Make an effort to get to know them by doing activities together such as going to the FIU events, catching a movie, or simply meeting up for lunch at Fresh. As an out-of-state student, you’re going to need people by your side to help you go through this difficult transition and who better than the people that live with you?  

2. Get involved on campus!

What’s the point of going to college out-of-state if all you’re going to do is go to class then straight to your dorm? FIU has so many clubs and organizations to choose from that you will most likely find something that fits your interests. Otherwise, you can always create your own club if none of the ones offered catch your attention. This is also a great way to meet new people and step out of your comfort zone.  

To see a list of all clubs and organizations go to http://studentaffairs.fiu.edu/get-involved/clubs-and-organizations/ 

3. Organize your life 

Unlike high school, “winging it” or “letting Jesus take the wheel” for a test you didn’t study for isn’t going to get you an A. It’s important to schedule your week accordingly, depending on the assignments you have to do and the exams you need to study for. I use both my agenda and the calender on my phone to plan out my week. Trust me, you don’t want to wake up on Sunday and realize you have to write a paper, do discussion boards, and study for that test on Monday. 

4. Realize that it’s okay to not be okay

There are going to be nights were you’re laying on your bed, looking through your prom and graduation pictures on Facebook and realizing how much you miss your life back home. I’m here to tell you that it’s okay to feel like that. It’s completely normal to miss a place that holds many years of memories. When you feel that way, don’t close yourself up. Talk to your roommates, friends, or your parents. If it comes to a point where the homesickness reaches another level, then book a trip back home for the weekend! It is highly likely that parents are dying to see you too, I know mine were. After the first year, that nostalgic feeling will start to fade away. Eventually you will be a senior looking back at your freshman year and being proud of yourself for overcoming that tough time. 

5. Make every moment count 

Last but not least, make every moment count. Unfortunately, years spent in college seem to fly by much faster than the high school years. Before you know it, you will be receiving an email reminding you to sign up for graduation. If there’s anything you can take from this, just note that it’s important to enjoy your time at FIU while creating friendships and connections that will last forever.

Go out and make memories, try new things and live for the moment. After all, they’re known as “the best years of your life” for a reason. 

I'm a puertorican leaving in Miami! Currently a senior at FIU majoring in journalism with a minor in spanish.