Radio City Music Hall Christmas in New York
Elizabeth Tait
Life > Experiences

5 Things to do in New York during Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you have been wanting to spend Christmas in the big apple, now’s the time! Christmas time in New York is like no other and there are many activities to keep you busy and feeling in the Christmas spirit. Here is a list of activities to do other than just walking around time square and shopping at the mall. 

1. Go Ice Skating

All you have to do is schedule an appointment online and have fun. There are many parks that offer the opportunity to go skating in their area. Prospect Park and Bryant Park are two popular locations that allow you to rent skates and enjoy the ice. 

1. Holiday Markets 

Think of a farmers market but Christmas style. So many unique finds from local businesses at the holiday markets. There are so many different foods to try and items to buy! Or maybe even look at it. You will certainly be surprised by all the jewelry, scarves, paintings, flowers, house decor, and more. Who knows? Maybe you just might end up finding the perfect gift in time for the holidays. Two locations to check out could be Columbus and Union Square. 

1. Rockefeller Tree Lighting 

Depending on the time in December, the Christmas tree lighting for the Rockefeller center is always an amazing sight to see. It first lights the first week of December but I definitely recommend it as a photo stop during the best time of the year. 

1. Max Brenner 

A restaurant where the food does not disappoint. Max Brenner has a very festive feel during the month of December along with a unique menu selection. Chocolate fondue? Readily brewed white chocolate chai? The food served at this restaurant is exquisite and is a must-try…especially during the holidays. 

1. Christmas Shows 

If you have never seen a playbill or nutcracker performance before, the holiday season is definitely the time to do it. Theaters will have performances all throughout the month of December. It is just up to choose a date and time to go see it. They will leave you feeling in awe. 

I hope this short and quick little article informed you about places to go during the holiday season. Surely kept me out and about this time around.

Kimora is a writer from the HerCampus Chapter at Florida International University. *Her current status: vlogging. Join the #kimmunity