Puppy Hand Fun Ring Summer Hapy Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

5 Things to Consider Before Adopting a Pet During Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Throughout the pandemic, I have seen plenty of articles recommending people to adopt pets to keep themselves from getting lonely. When we were still in Phase 1 of quarantine, I saw plenty of people adopting pets since everyone was home. I work at an animal shelter, and I think it is great that people want to give some animals a forever home, especially those who are working from home and have to the for pets at the moment. But remember, pets are a lifelong commitment. We should think about whether or not we’ll be able to handle the responsibility of having a pet in a post-pandemic world. Here are some things to consider before adopting a pet during the quarantine.

Long Term Committment

Owning a pet is a long-term commitment. Most dogs and cats live up to many years. Even guinea pigs live up to 7 years. Make sure that when you’re choosing to bring in an animal, you’re not just thinking it’ll be a short stint and then drop them back off at the shelter once you get tired of the responsibility.

Having the time once you go back to work

Eventually, we’re going to go back to work. Now, whether that’ll be sooner or later is still a question. The end of the pandemic in the U.S. is not yet certain, but it won’t last forever. As more and more people go back to work, more and more pets are also getting left behind. Make sure that you still have the time to take care of an animal once you go back to work or school or any other obligations that were put on hold because of the pandemic. You need to know how much time you will have now and post-pandemic. A pet is not an accessory. They need quality time with their human.

Socializing your pet

Younger pets like puppies and kitties need to be socialized. Even adult pets can have anxiety around strangers, especially dogs. This will be hard during an age of social distancing where you might not be able to have people over your house as often, or you can’t take your dog everywhere with you. You will need to have a plan for socializing your pet properly, so they won’t be too nervous around people post-pandemic.

Make post-pandemic plans

Of course, you should have a plan ready for once this pandemic is finally over. How are you going to split your time so you can take care of your pet? Are you still going to be financially stable enough to provide for them? One of the best things to do is to try and stick to a schedule. Try and feed your pet at the same time every day. If you have a dog, walk them at the same time every day. If you know that you won’t be at home as much as you like post-pandemic, try and give yourself some space from your dog now so they can get used to that.  Animals often pick up on routine quickly.

There are many upsides.

Having a pet is wonderful, and if you’re feeling a little lonely and isolated because of the pandemic, I absolutely recommend adopting. You get a best friend. Just make sure you’re aware of what exactly you’re getting yourself into. It is a big responsibility, and you should be financially stable, emotionally available, and ready to commit to your pet for them to have the best life possible with you.

Consider all of this before adopting. Every pet is different and will need different adjustments. They each have their own personalities. Just make sure you’ve considered everything I said and you should be set for bringing in a new BFF into your life. 

Gabriela Enamorado is a journalism student at Florida International University who also minors in History. She likes to write about social issues, politics, and entertainment. She hopes to empower women through her writings.