nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Rom-Coms That Will Fill Your Hopeless Romantic Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Alright everyone, it’s fall szn and you know what that means.. It’s cuffing szn. Honestly, there are so many ways to get in that whole lovey-dovey mood during this time. If you’re a hopeless romantic like me, there’s a good chance you enjoy rom-coms. My favorite thing to do when this time rolls around is prepare some popcorn, make some hot chocolate, light a candle, put on some fuzzy socks, snuggle under a blanket and watch a good ol’ rom-com. I, being the most extra person EVER, have watched countless amount of rom-coms in my lifetime so it’s safe to say that I’d like to call this my area of expertise. Here’s a list of five of my all time favorite tear-jerking, entertaining and hilarious rom-coms that will definitely fill your hopeless romantic heart.

1. When Harry Met Sally (1989)

This movie will forever hold a special place in my heart– since it is the first movie that introduced me to my love for romantic comedies. In When Harry Met Sally, Harry and Sally are recent college graduates that pursue the next part of their lives in the city of New York. There they face the biggest challenge: the trials of friendship between men and women. Overall, this movie illustrates that friendship between a man and a woman can turn into something even more beautiful.

2. The Proposal (2009)

Who doesn’t love a movie with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds? I know I do. This movie will make you laugh, cry, and definitely leave you with a feel good vibe by the end of the movie. In The Proposal, Margaret Tate, a well-known book editor, convinces Andrew Paxton, her assistant, to be engaged to her for the sole purpose of keeping her visa and avoiding being sent back to Canada. In the midst of all this, Andrew takes her to Alaska to meet his whole family, and from there the sparks are fly.

3. Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001)

If you ever feel as if your life isn’t going right, trust me, watch Bridget Jones’s Diary. Bridget, the main character, always has something going on: whether it be gaining weight, messy hair, constantly making a fool out of herself in public, or approaching the age of 30 without a suitable bachelor that fits her liking. All in all, this movie is about a woman in her late 20’s just trying to find herself and hoping love comes along the way during the midst of her journey.

4. You’ve Got Mail (1998)

Nowadays, when couples meet their significant others online, it’s usually through apps like tinder, instagram, twitter and DM’s. Well, in this 20th century film, they do things a little differently. In You’ve Got Mail, Kathleen and Joe’s main source of communication is email– so 90s, I know. Little do they know that as they begin to tempt themselves with the idea of meeting each other and perhaps falling in love, they have no idea they are actually eachother’s worst enemy. While Joe runs Fox Books, a chain of bookstores, Kathleen owns a local, small bookstore opened and ran by her mother before she passed away. This all leads to one question: Will the rivalry between their businesses break them apart, or can they look past this rivalry? Oh, and did I mention Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are the leading roles? Yeah, basically another reason why you should watch.

5. Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

If you haven’t seen Crazy Rich Asians, I suggest you stop what you’re doing, go online and check times they’re showing it. You need to see it! In my opinion, this movie is so undeniably great and the fact that it incorporates Asian representation makes me love it even more. This movie is all about Chinese-American girl, Rachel, whom may I add is an economics professor at NYU (like, wow) who goes all the way to Singapore with her boyfriend of one year, Nick, to celebrate his best friend’s wedding and meet the WHOLE family. But this isn’t a regular wedding, let alone a regular family– this is the wedding of the century accompanied by the wealthiest family in the country. Of course this all comes to a surprise for Rachel, never thinking that her own boyfriend is one of the richest and most sought-after bachelors of Singapore. This movie shows Rachel’s fearless journey as she takes on the Young family, and teaches us the importance of staying true to yourself.

Luisa is a freshman at Florida International University majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. Not only does she love to write, but she enjoys a good aesthetic. She loves to travel, find cute spots in Miami (or elsewhere), take photos wherever she goes, and especially being Colombian, she loves to have her daily dose of coffee!