This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

A lot of you might not have plans for Halloween this year, whether it be because you’re not trying to expose yourself during the pandemic or because you’re more of a homebody. However, you can still enjoy Halloween and the tenebrous vibe that comes along with it by watching a couple of horror movies and have a spooky marathon! I will be providing five of my favorite scary films, and maybe you’ll be intrigued enough to watch (or rewatch!) some of these. 

Jennifer’s Body

Jennifer’s Body is an all-time favorite of mine. It’s not your typical horror film, and you probably won’t get scared at all, but it delivers a powerful feminist message. It has become a cult classic despite its low ratings in 2009. This movie is a must-watch, and it’s a revenge story that keeps its audience hooked, especially with its heavy comedic relief. 

It Follows

If you’re looking for a movie that will actually leave you with the creeps and give you a couple of jump scares, It Follows should definitely be on your list! This movie didn’t receive as much attention as I expected it would, but it remained one of the only horror movies that I watched in my teen years to give me the creeps. The final girl Maika Monroe did an incredible job and has easily become one of my favorite actresses in the last couple of years. This movie’s plotline is extremely weird, but it will leave you with an eerie feeling you can’t ignore. 

Mother!

There’s a lot of reviews that did not praise this movie, but I personally enjoyed its message. The movie is deeply symbolic and delivers a lot of small details that you have to look for to understand its message. If you’re in the mood for an unorthodox horror movie that will get you thinking (and for some amazing acting from Jennifer Lawrence), then I’d recommend this film. 

The Conjuring 

The Conjuring sticks to a more classic horror film plotline that is easier to follow and find yourself lost in. I love scary movies that are based on families moving to haunted houses because my father introduced them to me from an early age, and The Conjuring fits this perfectly. You will be slightly scared, and there won’t be a dull moment, so maybe you can watch this film and its other parts and make it a movie marathon centered on The Conjuring universe!

The Shining

There needed to be a classic on this list, and The Shining is the most iconic selection. This film will complete your horror movie marathon and take you back to the iconic hotel where the movie events go down in. If this isn’t already on your list, then it definitely needs to be!

These are only a few of my favorite horror films that I will be re-watching this October, but I hope I inspired you enough to check them out! You won’t be disappointed.

Rachel is currently an English Major at Florida International University. She loves fashion, movies, books, and theater. Her dream is to move to California and work for a publishing company while she auditions for acting roles on the side. The arts are her passion, and this includes writing! If you ever want to discuss any of these things with her, feel free to reach her at her Instagram @rachelglez.