Style > Decor

5 Cute Halloween Decoration Ideas for Your Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Quarantine still isn’t over, and lately, we’ve been spending a lot of time in our rooms. So what better way to get in the Halloween spirit this year than switching your year-round room decorations for some spookier ones? Decorating my room for Halloween always gets me excited for October and it serves as a nice change for the fall time. If you’re not too sure where to start, I’ll be dropping some tips on ideas I always turn to every year when adding some spine-chilling accessories to my bedroom. 

Start off With Your Bedroom Door

The first thing you or any visitors will see when heading to your bedroom is your door, so I always try to start my decorating there. The easiest route to take is buying some stickers at any store and placing them all over your door. I bought a couple of Halloween sticker sheets from Walmart for just 98 cents and it was a great investment. You can even DIY some bats or spiders using black construction paper and add them as well. If you want to go the extra mile, you can also buy a creepy doorbell from Target and add this accessory to your door. 

Accessorize Your Shelves

Any shelves in your room are a great point of focus for Halloween decorations. With shelves, you have a lot of room for creativity. You can make it look like a witch’s shelf with potions, spellbooks, and skeletons. Or you add a couple of eerie candelabras with a bouquet of black flowers and go for a mysterious look. Either way, shelves are always super fun to decorate and you can throw almost any decorations on them as long as you arrange them well. 

Add Some Lighting

Lighting is a big part of really setting the mood for a Halloween-inspired room. I typically add some purple and orange fairy lights around my window. You can get lights like these at any dollar store, and they’re great quality. Halloween projectors are also amazing additions, and they sell them for about $15 at Walmart. Now, you’re just missing a couple of candles to scatter around your room and the lighting vibe will be complete. 

Include Some Ceiling Decorations

Ceiling decorations can be a little extra, but it never hurts to go all out. I suggest purchasing some hanging cutouts or paper lanterns. However, I recently saw someone on Tik Tok who covered their ceiling with cobwebs they purchased at a dollar store, and it looked phenomenal. You don’t even have to cover too much of the ceiling, but adding some cobwebs around the corners with some hanging spiders would really emphasize the creepy atmosphere. 

Spookify Your Bed

Don’t forget to match your bed in your room’s new vibe! You can purchase Halloween-themed pillows and blankets and arrange them neatly on your bed. Maybe throw in a couple of Halloween stuffed animals, and your bed is done. 

Follow these tips and watch as the favorite part of your home completely transforms into the Halloween-themed room of your dreams. And remember, don’t be afraid to be as extra as possible! 

Rachel is currently an English Major at Florida International University. She loves fashion, movies, books, and theater. Her dream is to move to California and work for a publishing company while she auditions for acting roles on the side. The arts are her passion, and this includes writing! If you ever want to discuss any of these things with her, feel free to reach her at her Instagram @rachelglez.