brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Awesome Women You Should be Following on Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! This month we celebrate women everywhere and remember those who came before us. There are so many inspirational women in society that are the true definition of what it means to be a girl boss and badass. Here are 4 amazing women you should follow on Instagram if you aren’t already:

1. Kathleen Fuentes (@kathleenlights) 

Credit: ColourPop Cosmetics 

Kathleen Fuentes is a bubbly, hardworking beauty guru and YouTuber from Miami. She started her channel in 2013 and since then, has made a name for herself in the beauty community and on the Internet. Kathleen is known for her product reviews, easy to follow makeup tutorials, Kat Chats videos, and fascination with astrology. She co-founded and co-owned her own nail polish line, KL Polish, until she announced that she was shutting it down due to conflicts with the other owner. However, she is rebranding and launching a new line, Lights Lacquer, sometime this year. Since the start of her channel, Kathleen has been open about her anxiety and depression with her subscribers and has been an advocate for self-care and mental health awareness. Kathleen is funny, relatable, and a true ray of sunshine who always puts her fan-base first.

2. Lily Collins (@lilyjcollins) 

Credit: InStyle Magazine

Lily Collins is an actress and model who is best known for her roles in the movies The Blind Side, Love, Rosie, and Mirror, Mirror. She is also the author of her critically acclaimed memoir Unfiltered: No Shame, No Regrets, Just Me, in which she talks about being raised by a single mom and her challenges with eating disorders in her teens and early adulthood. Throughout her book, Lily emphasizes the importance of ending the stigma of mental disorders and how opening up and receiving proper care will change your life for the better. Lily is a strong, brave, woman that so many women around the world can look up to and realize that even those who seem like they have it all together have been through trials and tribulations. 

3. Anne Hathaway (@annehathaway) 

Credit: Entertainment Tonight 

Anne Hathaway is an actress, singer, and activist who is best known for her roles in The Princess Diaries, Les Misérables, The Devil Wears Prada, and The Intern. Since her breakout role in The Princess Diaries in 2001, she has maintained an exceptional career and image, winning several prestigious awards for her works. As well as an actress, Anne is an activist for human rights, women’s rights, children’s health, and gender equality and is associated with organizations such as UNICEF, the Human Rights Campaign, and UN Women. She is constantly bringing awareness to issues in our society on her Instagram profile, and urges her fans and supporters to continue fighting for what is right and to make the world a better place. 

4. Gina Rodriguez (@hereisgina)

Credit: Twitter 

Gina Rodriguez is an actress, director, and producer best known for her role as the main character in the TV series Jane the Virgin. Along with being an actress, Gina is an executive producer of the show and has directed several episodes. Gina also has her own production company, I Can and I Will Productions. In addition to a film career, Gina is extremely vocal about Hispanic and minority representation and gender equality in Hollywood and in everyday life. She is a board member of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund and has teamed up with companies in the past to promote body confidence amongst women and care for the environment. She also appeared on Lin-Manuel Miranda’s song “Almost Like Praying” to raise funds for Hurricane Maria victims in Puerto Rico. She continues to be an example for minority women across the country. 

Anel is an Elementary Education major within the Honors College at Florida International University. Her passions include beauty, music, education, and of course writing! In the future, she plans to be working as a full-time teacher and part-time makeup artist, all while obtaining her Masters degree. When she's not studying or working, you can probably find Anel shopping, watching makeup tutorials and Netflix, volunteering in a kindergarten classroom, or spending time with her family.