3 Underrated Young Adult Books You Must Read in College 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Reading is the one thing that allows you to travel to fantastical, different, mesmerizing worlds without having to waste a dime. All you need is your mind and the ability to wander off to a world different from your own. In college, we sometimes need the breather and the chance to escape, yet we might not have the time or the money to do so. By reading it allows us to transport ourselves to worlds where dragons might be real or make us believe the perfect significant other is out there. Here you will find the books all young adults need to read in college; ranging in all genres yet they share similar and interesting factors that would make any collegiate fall in love. 

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 

This poignant coming-of-age story is a must-read for every single person out there. Not only does it narrate a beautiful, yet tragic story of coming to terms with the ugly truths about the world we live in today, but Thomas shows a very serious and straight to the point message. Through her writing we are able to travel to the mind of a 16-year-old who has to come to terms with the racism surrounding her. It is a very important piece of writing that is relevant to today’s developing world. 

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E Schwab

Everyone desires a little bit of magic in their lives. We dream of strange worlds and vast amount of possibilities. Schwab delivers all this and more in this adventurous tale led by very unique characters. The world-building and character development is incredible, a world uniquely different from our own is created by a string of descriptions and well-developed characters. The author’s simplistic word choice to describe such a complex world successfully paints a beautiful picture in all the readers’ mind taking them along for the ride of their life. 

Before We Were Strangers by Renee Carlino

Magic and real life stories are great, but every once in a while we need that dose of romance in our lives. The kind that makes us believe in destiny and love at first sight. This raw and intriguing story is one that describes the love that never was, that person whose life you touched and never came back. It is for the chance to meet them years later when a whole world has changed beneath their feet. The words will blow your mind as well as the slow and raw emotion that is shown from both main characters. 

With these three books I give you a range of three very different genres, but I tell you that they all are a must-read. You will be able to relax and momentarily forget about your stresses and be transported to three different dimensions. 

I am currently a Junior studying Public Relations, Advertisement and Applied Communications with a Minor in Hospitality Studies. My passion for writing and reading has been imbedded in me every since I was a little girl and till this day desire to use my passions in both my work field and personal life. I am from Venezuela, lived there all my life and moved to Miami for college. I am very passionate in what I do and the things I love. Through my writing I hope to inspire people and make them analyze the world and the community we surround ourselves with. I am a firm believer in balance and good vibes. Hope you enjoy reading my articles as much as I enjoy writing them!