2022 GRAMMYs: First Round of Perfomers Announced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s officially GRAMMY season again!

In November 2021, the Recording Academy named its GRAMMY nominees in each of the 86 categories for the 2022 GRAMMYs award show. If you want to see the full list of GRAMMY nominations, you can do so here.

Jon Batiste is the most-nominated artist, having earned 11 nominations. Justin Bieber, H.E.R., and Doja Cat are second-most nominated, each having 8 nominations. Olivia Rodrigo and Billie Eilish have earned 7 nominations each. All of these leading nominees this year are nominated in 2 or more General Field categories – Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist – and all of these nominees have nominations in the Album of the Year category.

Although, Olivia Rodrigo and Billie Eilish are the third-most nominated artists, they’re both expected to win big this year. Rodrigo has had a breakout year with her hugely successful debut album SOUR, and she’s managed to grab nominations in all 4 General Field categories. This means she’s the 13th artist in GRAMMYs history to be nominated in all 4 categories in a single year. If Rodrigo wins in these categories, she’d become the third person and second woman to do so. She would also tie with Billie Eilish as the youngest nominee to win the Big Four categories.

Billie Eilish has earned nominations in the Song and Record of the Year categories, making this her third consecutive year to be nominated in these categories. Eilish’s album’s, Happier Than Ever, title track is nominated in Record of the Year and if she wins, it would be her third Record of the Year award in a row.

Olivia Rodrigo and Billie Eilish aren’t the only ones making history this GRAMMYs season. Jay-Z has earned 3 more nominations this year, making his career total 83 GRAMMYs nominations. With this, Jay-Z is now the artist with the most GRAMMY nominations of all time.

After getting background information on some of this year’s nominees, it’s time to look at the first round of GRAMMYs performers that were announced on March 15, 2022.

The first round of GRAMMYs performers include Billie Eilish, Brandi Carlile, Brothers Osborne, BTS, Lil Nas X, Olivia Rodrigo, and Jack Harlow.

If you want to listen to these artists’ discographies before tuning into the GRAMMYs to watch their performances, you can follow these links below:

Be sure to tune in to the 64th GRAMMY Awards on April 3, 2022 to see your favorite artists take home some GRAMMYs! The GRAMMY Awards will be viewable live on CBS and available to stream live and on-demand on Paramount+.

Nicolle Hernandez is the Treasurer and Social Media Assistant at the Her Campus at Florida International University (FIU) chapter. As Treasurer, she oversees the chapter's finances and funding. In her role as the Social Media Assistant, Nicolle works with the social media team to publish a variety of content, including graphic design posts, video content, member-specific content, and more. Nicolle was also a writer for Her Campus FIU during the Spring 2022 term, in which she focused mainly on entertainment topics. At Florida International University, Nicolle is a Digital Communication and Media major with a concentration in Digital Journalism. She is also pursuing a minor in Social Media and E-Marketing Analytics. As a result of her dedication to her studies, Nicolle has been awarded several Dean’s List recognitions. Being a part of Her Campus has given Nicolle a great sense of pride and individuality. She considers herself grateful to have gotten the opportunity to explore her passion for writing. In her free time, Nicolle enjoys listening to music, watching rom-com movies, and traveling the world.