Wellness > Health

15 Miles of a Mental and Physical Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

https://www.familyvacationcritic.com/attraction/everglades-national-park…

Usually when we are going on an adventure that requires some type of physical activity, we automatically think about how the sore we will be the next day. We often tend to forget that these kinds of physical activities also play a huge part in our mental state.

If you’re interested in a great workout and mental challenge, look no further than Shark Valley, Everglades! The Everglades National park has an infamous fifteen-mile bike trail. Now, this trail isn’t for a beginner bicyclist but if you like a challenge and you’re not afraid to put in some hard work then go for it! This fifteen-mile loop trail is in dead center of The Everglades…beware of the alligators laying on the side of the trail. 

This challenge doesn’t only test you physically. While biking this trail, we have to think of the Florida heat, the gators all around you and those gusts of winds pushing you back on the returning side of the loop. Our minds play games on us, in most cases our body can push a lot harder than we think and that’s where the mental challenge comes in. We basically have to trick our minds to keep pushing and keep moving because if you take one break you won’t want to go back on that bike. Let’s face it, who wants to walk their bike to that finish line anyway?

I myself train frequently at the gym yet I still had a hard time returning from the trail. My body was numb, but I refused to give up, all I did was self-talk and kept repeating “mind over matter, mind over matter.” That’s exactly how we should take all of our challenges. At the end of that trail, you will feel so accomplished and proud that you pulled through. Turn any challenge whether it’s physical or mentally into an accomplishment. It doesn’t matter how hard it can be, if you set your mind to do it you will surprised how far you can go. Challenge yourselves, work towards fueling that brain and pushing yourself to the extreme. You’ll notice that the feeling after you finish that race or whatever it may be was totally worth it. 

Xo, JG 

Cover photo: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/jetgrigg/motivational-quotes/

Journalism student with a track in Broadcast Media at The School Of Communications & Journalism at Florida International University.  Josie is an ambitious Journalist with a passion to unfold the truth and inform the audience; she loves to write about fashion, lifestyle and current events.