13 Going On 30, Lizzie McGuire Returns To Our Screens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you haven’t heard by now the relatable, quirky, and best friend figure, Lizzie McGuire, returns to our screens in the show’s reboot. 

Hilary Duff, who played the thirteen-year-old Lizzie McGuire, announced the show’s revival at the Disney+ D23 Expo stage on August 23rd. The reboot will air on the upcoming Disney+ streaming services. According to the Disney+ countdown, the subscription platform is set to launch on November 12, 2019, yet there’s no release date for the Lizzie reboot. Hilary Duff also took to Instagram to share her excitement of revisiting the role of Lizzie and commented, “I am beyond excited to be home again, back with my girl ♥️…and into her 30’s.” 

(Source: Instagram: @HilaryDuff)

From 13 going on 30, the series kicks off with Lizzie living in New York City and about to enter her thirties. Lizzie works as an apprentice to an interior decorator and is in a relationship. With an announcement like this, fans are curious to see which original cast members make an appearance if any and who our girl Lizzie ends up with. Now we just have to wait and see. 

In honor of the reboot, let’s take a trip down memory lane and revisit some OG episodes. These are some moments where Lizzie and/or her cartoon alter-ego were relatable to every pre-teen watching. 

1. Thirteen-year-old Lizzie wasn’t afraid of a little challenge and chased her middle school dreams. Let’s see if thirty-year-old Lizzie achieved them. (Season 1, Ep. 5)

(Source: Tumblr)

2. The episode where Lizzie has to wear the unicorn sweater “Gammy McGuire” gifted her, in her yearbook picture. Lizzie spends the whole day looking for a replacement outfit. Gordo saves the day and finds one, only to have it splattered with paint when Lizzie protects Miranda’s cute outfit from getting ruined. #BestFriendGoals. (Season 1, Ep. 2

(Source: Giphy)

3. When Lizzie ignited a spark in every pre-teen fangirl and sneaked her way into Aaron Carter’s dressing room. Not to mention, they kissed and she ended up in his music video. One can only dream! (Season 1, Ep. 7)

(Source: Giphy)

4. This one is just an everyday mood. (Season 1, Ep. 5)

(Source: Giphy)

5. Let’s be honest, we’ve all been there. Just don’t let Kate Sanders find you repeating an outfit. (Season 1, Ep. 2)

(Source: Giphy)

6. When Lizzie experiences her first heartbreak and Gordo says all the right words. #TeamGordo (Season 2, Ep. 1

(Source: Giphy, 2)

7. Another instance where Gordo was wise beyond his years and didn’t follow the crowd. #TeamGordo (Season 2, Ep. 14

(Source: Giphy)

8. When heartbroken Lizzie realizes Ethan Craft and her are just not meant to be. On the bright side, the episode ends with her and Gordo slow dancing. (Season 2, Ep. 8)

(Source: Tumblr)

9. When you realize some friendships aren’t supposed to last forever. (Season 2, Ep. 6

(Source: Tumblr

In conclusion…

(Source: Giphy)

Allison is currently a Broadcast Media major at Florida International University. Passionate about writing and reporting, Allison aspires to one day work in a newsroom. She hopes to share her love for music, movies, fashion, and all things pop culture through her writing.