This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Early Sunday morning, a 9-1-1 calling center in Perris, California received a call from a young girl claiming she and her siblings were being held captive by their parents. This 17 year-old girl escaped from her home through a window in desperation. The 17 year-old girl, Ms.Turpin, was able to contact authorities using a phone that had been disconnected, and after convincing authorities, twelve siblings were found in the home. To the police’s shock, they found starving children from ages 2-29. Some of the victims had been chained to furniture and most appeared to look much younger than their actual age as a result of malnutrition. Neighbors commented on the story claiming the children seemed frightened whenever spoken to and freezing when interaction with the children was attempted. According to the Washington Post, Andria Valdez, a neighbor, told the Press-Enterprise that she had teased in the past that the Turpins reminded her of the Cullen family from the fictional series “Twilight.”

The parents of the thirteen children, David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin, 49, were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment. Authorities stated that the parents were unable to justify their behavior; their bail was set at $18 million. The parents of the father, David Allen Turpin, described the couple as religious and said the two continued to have children because “God called on them.” While they masked behind family vacation photos and matching family outfit photos, the children in this family indeed suffered from abusive circumstances.

Photo Source

At the moment, the children’s health and deciding the best accommodations for them remain top priority. Counseling and hospitalization will most likely be needed to rehabilitate the children. The adult children have been taken to a different hospital and have been described as more “friendly and cooperative” than the minor children, but statements regarding the current state of the younger children have yet to be released.

Cover Photo Source