This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The beauty of television is that there is never a shortage of shows out there to get hooked on. Whether it’s a historical drama or a documentary about sex trafficking, there’s a TV show out there for everyone. There almost always comes a time in our lives when we find ourselves with an overabundance of time on our hands and no clue what to do with it. In times like these, I like to turn to my streaming services, Netflix and Hulu. I am currently behind on a lot of my shows but for those who are all caught up and can’t think of anything to watch, I have compiled a list of ten TV shows that are sure to entertain and also (in the case of certain shows) may take some time to get through.

1. That 70s Show (1998-2006)

Photo Source

This sitcom follows the lives of small-town teens and their legally ambiguous antics as they attempt to stave off boredom in-you guessed it, 1970s Wisconsin. Brimming with one-liners, running gags and hundreds of classic pop culture references, this show is sure to make you LOL many times.

Photo Source

2. Supernatural (2005- )

Photo Source

If you’re a fan of scary movies, this is a show you should consider watching. Everything you see in horror flicks is real and trying to kill people in this drama that follows two (insanely attractive) brothers as they hit the road and hunt down the things that go bump in the night while dealing with their own family drama. They also manage to save the world a few times (after screwing it up in the first place). Fair warning for those who get hooked: this show will make you cry.

Photo Source

3. Criminal Minds (2005- )

Photo Source

Who doesn’t enjoy a good old-fashioned procedural cop show? This one is slightly unique because it follows the cases of the FBI’s Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU). These profilers travel all over the country to assist local law enforcement offices with their investigations. Some cases can be intense and they don’t always end with everything being neatly tied up in a little bow. The team dynamic resembles that of a family and the characters get some compelling storylines.

Photo Source

4. Gotham (2014- )

Photo Source

Batman may have put Gotham on the map, but this show revolves around a pre-Batman Gotham with Detective James Gordon as our main protagonist who deals with widespread corruption and organized crime alongside some familiar characters. A must-watch for any self-proclaimed Batman fans.

Photo Source

5. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013- )

Photo Source

Jake Peralta, an immature but talented NYPD detective in Brooklyn’s 99th Precinct, comes into immediate conflict with his new commanding officer, the serious and stern Captain Ray Holt. This is another show to watch if you’re in need of a laugh. Andy Samberg delivers the laughs in this witty comedy that he also co-produces. The characters are witty and original and they all work well together. Each interaction is sure to cause laughter even the scenes between the stoic Captain Holt and the deliberately enigmatic Detective Diaz. If you don’t want to take my word for it, check out this article Den of Geek! wrote about why you should binge-watch this show.

Photo Source

6. Marvel’s Daredevil

Photo Source

The show is based on the comic book character Matt Murdock who fights crime as a blind lawyer by day, and is a vigilante by night, with his other senses superhumanly enhanced. Everything about this show is phenomenal. The fight sequences are bad-ass, the storylines are captivating, and the acting is superb. Charlie Cox is the embodiment of a man burdened with purpose and Vincent D’Onofrio gives us a despicable villain we can’t help but feel sorry for. If you like this show, I highly recommend you check out the other Marvel based Netflix originals: Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders, which sees the four heroes teaming up together. It exists in the Marvel Cinematic Universe so there are small little Easter eggs that allude to events that happened in the movies.

Photo Source

7. Seinfeld (1989-1998)

Photo Source

“The show is about… nothing!”-George Costanza

This show is an absolute classic and everyone should watch it. I feel as though so few people have seen it (or maybe just the people I interact with) because no one ever understands my references. It revolves around comedian Jerry Seinfeld and his three friends as they go about their daily lives. Whether it’s waiting for a table at a Chinese restaurant for half an hour, or running afoul of a soup stand owner, these neurotic New Yorkers almost always end up offending someone.

Photo Source

8. Arrow (2012- )

Photo Source

Based on the DC comics’ Green Arrow, spoiled billionaire playboy Oliver Queen is missing and presumed dead when his yacht is lost at sea. He returns five years later a changed man, determined to clean up the city as a hooded vigilante armed with a bow. The show has action, adventure and plenty of drama. It also has some original characters that aren’t from the comics. This show was such a success that it paved the way for the formation of the “Arrowverse,” a shared universe comprised of spinoffs of Arrow such as The Flash (2014), Vixen (2015), Supergirl (2015) and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (2016).

Photo Source

9. Modern Family (2009- )

Photo Source

Told from the perspective of an unseen documentary filmmaker, the series offers an honest, often-hilarious perspective of today’s (straight, gay, multicultural, traditional) modern family. This show is both heartwarming and hilarious. The characters are all so unique. There’s the goofy dad, the strict mom who may or may not have OCD, the gorgeous Columbian wife that came from a crime-ridden village whose English isn’t the best, the son who is way too mature for his age, etc. Everyone brings something different to the table and the actors play their roles very well.

Photo Source

10. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2013- )

Photo Source

Picks up where Marvel’s The Avengers (2012) left off and follows a team of agents from the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division (S.H.I.E.L.D), as they investigate strange occurrences around the globe. It exists in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and therefore the storylines are directly affected by what occurs in the movies. Photo Source

Cover Image

Soy Dominicana. I love movies, quotes, and everything to do with Marvel and DC. Instagram: arlenys_b Twitter: @Arlen_Burgos