you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Why You Should Be Pumped For Your First Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Having worked all throughout high school, I can attest that there is something different about working your first college internship. It is your first step into the real world and where you are exposed to everything you’ve dreamed of since a young age. This is when your dreams start to come true!

As soon as you step through the door the first day, you become part of a team, and more: a family. You are treated as an employee rather than a student, which brings a whole new level of respect. You will make lifelong friends with the other interns who are in the same boat as you! But most importantly, you will come across endless opportunities you had no idea  even existed.  

Coming into my first internship, I didn’t know what to expect. My boss took me under her wing, showed me the ropes, and built a foundation for me that will always be a part of my future. I was given so much freedom of creativity and my input was taken into account, but what was most import to me was that my opinions and thoughts were always valued and took into consideration and I was always believed in and uplifted by the people surrounding me.

I was given two major opportunities while interning that I still cherish. One of my standout moments was being able to attend the Sherri Hill Fashion Show, which was a dream come true. I was invited to watch the models get their hair and makeup done, watch the runway show, and attend the after party. I met Sherri, who was super nice, and I got to know the well known model, Halima – I even saw one of the Dance Moms backstage! Another highlight accomplishment from my internship was working directly with Burt’s Bees on a lip collection inspired by New York Fashion Week and helping choose their color palette. Currently, it is starting to come to stores, and to see the finished product come to life is such a wonderful feeling!

Once I got comfortable, my internship began to feel like a home and I learned that this was the place I would always look back and remember where I once started. The work itself was enjoyable because I was there to do what I loved, but even so, I took this as a time to have fun as well as work. During my lunch breaks I would go out and explore the city (I became a regular at a local coffee shop) and so much more! My first internship will always have a special place in my heart, and so will the people that were alongside me.

Alexis Kalil is a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology studying Fashion Business Management and English. In her free time, she enjoys thrifting, photography, watching Netflix, and traveling.
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.