This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Just like Micheal Bublé says, “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.” The season of kissing under the mistletoe and drinking hot cocoa is upon us. December is seen as one of the most romantic times of the year and is filled with festive ideas for couples. Even though there are so many classic activities like watching Home Alone and baking cookies, sometimes it’s fun to mix things up and try new experiences. Whether this is your first holiday season together or the month that you and your partner look most forward to, these new traditions could spark different memories and create lasting experiences for years to come. 

1. Paint Ornaments to hang on your tree

Everyone has different visions on how they want to decorate for Christmas but by creating decorations for each other, you create something that together that can go on your tree at home or saved for a tree you have together later. This idea can easily be done on plastic or glass ornaments and decorated with assorted colors of acrylic paint.

2. Go See the Nutcracker

As the snow falls and people start bundling up for the chills of winter, a popular performance of the season is watching the famous story: The Nutcracker. Even though it’s based on a children’s story, it is a reason to dress up together and possibly wear coordinating outfits. Sitting in a theater can be comforting and once you hear the sugar plum fairy’s entrance, it’s hard not to have a smile on your face. Tickets to the performance are also a great idea for a gift.

3. Host an annual Ugly Sweater or White Elephant party

If having people over for a nice dinner or party is an activity as a couple, a fun tradition could be planning a festive party. Depending on what your friends like to do, having everyone wear the ugliest sweater they can find, or preparing a formal sit down dinner, is a great way to plan something together. Tasks can be divided up so there is delicious food, on-theme decorations, and perfect music to set the mood. If all goes well, this can become an annual tradition as a pair but also for all of your friends.

4. Put together an end-of-the-year playlist

While you look back on the year you just had, it can be a cool experience to recap on certain things such as music. Just like Spotify and Apple Music does once December hits, creating a playlist from each other’s music is a great way to connect and re-listen to your favorite songs. This can also be a great way to share interests if you and your partner have very different music tastes.

5. Drive to a nice neighborhood and look at the lights

Some people may not live near the suburbs, but if you are home during winter break, this is a simple way to see beautiful Christmas lights for free. Lots of families go all out with stringed lights, inflatables, and other decorations when they are decorating their homes. Put on some popular holiday music or the end-of the-year playlist you just made and drive around while you enjoy all the lights.

With the Holiday Season right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to discuss what plans you and your partner have to celebrate this time the right way.

Isabella Noll is a second-year student at the Fashion Institute of Technology and is studying Advertising and Marketing Communications She loves writing and her goal in life is to work for a fashion magazine. She is very passionate about how culture is connected with fashion and enjoys writing about topics involving lifestyle, fashion, and sustainability.