This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), also known as the Winter Blues, is a form of depression that is caused by change in daylight and weather during the fall and winter seasons. Symptoms can include low energy, loss of interest in activities, and oversleeping. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, 4% to 6% of people in the United States experience SAD, while another 10% to 20% experience SAD in a milder form.

Here are some ways to cope with symptoms of SAD:

• Stick to a routine or schedule. Many people who face seasonal depression have disrupted sleeping patterns. Maintaining a consistent schedule and going to bed around the same time each night can reduce symptoms of SAD.
  • Remember to go outside or let in as much natural light as you can throughout the day. Although the sun sets earlier, take advantage of the bright mornings and afternoons. While at home, try to do any work near a window instead of under fluorescent lights.
  • Journal. No matter the time of year, journaling always has a positive impact on mental health. Writing down your daily thoughts and letting go of any feelings can improve your mood significantly.
  • Maintaining social relationships is another way to alleviate SAD symptoms. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, people have felt isolated more than ever. Phone calls, Facetimes, texts, and making plans with family and friends can help boost your mood.
  • Exercise, especially outdoors, is another effective way to help with SAD. Even if it is a walk outside or at-home yoga, it is important to get your body moving during the colder months.

Dealing with the dark days of winter can be tough, but it is important to remember that things will not always feel this way forever. Reaffirming positive thoughts acts as a reminder of all the good there is around you. Incorporating self-help techniques into your daily life can help manage and reduce SAD symptoms.

Jacqueline is the Editor-in-Chief and Vice President of Her Campus at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC. She is graduating with a BS in Advertising and Marketing Communications and a minor in English. When she's not writing or reading, you can find her watching early 2000s rom-coms and listening to Taylor Swift.