Tips for Remote Classes from an Online High School Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

My high school experience was a little different than most: I attended an online school. Now that we’re starting another online semester, I’ve got some tips for attending school from home that have definitely come in handy the last few months.

Find a dedicated workspace

Attending classes from home can make it difficult to draw the line between working and relaxing- I’m sure we’re all guilty of sitting on the couch and saying we’ll do homework, and then end up taking a nap a few minutes later. I’ve always found that having a specific workspace gives me motivation and puts me in the right frame of mind to get all of my work done. You’ll also feel extra relaxed and comfortable when you’re finally able to curl up in bed knowing all your hard work is done.

Keep up a regular morning routine

Are there days when you’ll just want to wake up at 8:59 for a 9:00 Zoom class? Of course. But don’t let that be your regular routine – allow yourself a few minutes to do whatever makes you feel ready to start the day, whether it’s a morning yoga routine, putting on some makeup, or getting dressed in your favorite outfit.

Make a to-do list and stick to it

Whenever I feel like I have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it, I like to make a to-do list the night before. I like to get the tasks I’m dreading the most out of the way first, but do whatever works best for you. It’s so easy to forget about tests and assignments when you don’t have a professor in front of you always talking about them, so it’s important to make sure you keep track of them yourself.

Take short breaks throughout the day

Sitting at a desk in the same room all day can be tiring, so I like to take 5-10 minute breaks throughout the day to give myself time to breathe. You’ll also want to take a break from looking at a screen, so try to avoid going on your phone too much and instead do something like make a cup of coffee, get up and stretch, or grab a quick snack.

It can be tough to adjust to attending school online, but hang in there and make the most of it!

Emily is a senior at FIT studying Advertising and Marketing Communications. Originally from Pittsburgh, PA, she now lives in Brooklyn. In her spare time, you can find her watching reality TV or following a Chloe Ting workout video.