Thinking of Transferring? Here’s What You Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

College is the beginning of a new chapter in your life – you worked hard on your application, got accepted, and you’re so excited to begin your journey at the school of your dreams. While everyone seems to make college seem like four perfect years at your dream school, the reality is that over a third of college students end up transferring. As you begin your journey as a transfer student, here are some things you should keep in mind.

Look for schools that have the most transfer students.

If you don’t already have a specific school in mind, consider schools that commonly attract transfer students. Schools with a larger amount of transfer students will probably have specific events or programs to help you out with the transition, making it much easier to find other people going through the same thing you are.

Prepare for more applications.

Applying for college as a freshman probably wasn’t your favorite thing to do, and it won’t be as a transfer student either. This time, your application might require more than it did the first time – you’ll have to get transcripts from any institutions you’ve attended and write more essays. The whole process will take time, so the earlier you start, the better.

You might feel like a freshman again.

Transferring is sort of like starting from scratch. You have to figure out a new campus, find new friends, and get involved in new activities. It’s going to be frustrating, but soon enough you’ll find yourself surrounded by great people that will remind you why you wanted to transfer.

Do your research on degree programs.

Transferring isn’t always the easiest when it comes to academic programs. Make sure you speak with an academic advisor at every step of the process so you can stay on track. Expectations for similar degree programs can vary from school to school, so make sure you look at the requirements for every place you’re applying to. You don’t want to be approaching graduation just to find out a class from your old school didn’t transfer the way you thought it would.

Push yourself to get involved.

Entering a new school as a transfer student is intimidating when everyone already seems to have their established friend groups, and a lot of transfer students end up feeling like they should go back to their old school. It can be hard, but getting out of your comfort zone and getting involved on your new campus will help. Keep an eye out for any events from your school specifically for new students – you never know who you could meet!

While everyone seems to make college seem like four perfect years at your dream school, the reality is that over a third of college students end up transferring. It might be a difficult transition, but it will be worth it in the end.

Emily is a senior at FIT studying Advertising and Marketing Communications. Originally from Pittsburgh, PA, she now lives in Brooklyn. In her spare time, you can find her watching reality TV or following a Chloe Ting workout video.