Take Note: Kacey Musgraves is Changing The Music Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Kacey Musgraves took the world by storm when she won four Grammys during this year’s awards ceremony. Many wondered who she was as they hadn’t heard of her before. But this wasn’t Kacey’s first rodeo. She’s been nominated nine times and has won six. But it wasn’t until her fourth studio album, Golden Hour, that she received such acclaim. She won Album of the Year and Best Country Album, two of the largest categories of the night. Golden Hour also won Album of the Year at the 52nd Annual Country Music Awards.

A post shared by K A C E Y M U S G R A V E S (@spaceykacey) on

So why is Kacey such a standout? It’s simple: she doesn’t try to fit in or be anyone but herself. She has shattered norms when it comes to her music and her style. Most would consider her a country artist, but she has an undeniable 70’s disco flair, especially in her style, that really sets her apart from the crowd. She struts the red carpets in daring looks and isn’t afraid to be herself. She attended her first Met Gala on Monday night and stunned as a real life Moschino Barbie doll. 

I saw Kacey perform live at Madison Square Garden where she was the opening act for Harry Styles’ World Tour. An odd pairing and one that surprised me, I had never heard of her before, and as a usual country hater, I was a little bit disappointed that she was the opening act.  But after her performance, I realized quickly how unique she was and what a perfect fit she was for Harry’s tour. She sang country love songs on her guitar but with a Cher aura to her. She was dressed in a gorgeous rainbow metallic gown with her long brown hair worn pin straight. Her voice was steady and consistent yet utterly breathtaking. She left her heart on the stage and wasn’t afraid to have a little fun. She also did a duet with Harry, singing Shania Twain’s “You’re Still The One.”

Kacey is also extremely active on social media. She often reposts fan edits, videos and funny memes. Her 1.4 million Instagram followers and over 750k Twitter followers wait for her self-deprecating tweets and dramatic Instagram stories. Her Instagram bio reads, “properly yeehawing since 1988,” and we couldn’t agree more. She even became a meme on Twitter, when she won Album of the Year at this year’s Grammy’s awards.

There truly is no one quite like Kacey Musgraves. She has turned many former country music haters into country fans. Her individuality, style. and carefree attitude will for sure take her far in this industry. 2019 has been Kacey’s year thus far and I can’t wait to see what else is to come.

I’m a senior at the Fashion Institute of Technology majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with double minors in Psychology and Film & Media Studies! I'm a coffee addict, makeup fanatic and a true Long Islander! If I’m not in class, I’m usually watching movies as I dream of working in the film industry!
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.