Style > Beauty

Selena Gomez’s New Beauty Brand Is Everything & Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Fenty Beauty. KKW. Kylie Cosmetics. Haus Labs. These beauty brands all have one thing in common – they are celebrity founded! These companies all were started up by celebrities and influencers, and each has a different target to reach in their audiences. However, this celebrity brand is quite different from the others.

A post shared by Rare Beauty by Selena Gomez (@rarebeauty) on

This early September, singer and actress Selena Gomez released her new beauty brand, Rare Beauty. Exclusively at Sephora, Gomez’s beauty line, Rare Beauty, is designed to break down society’s unrealistic standards of beauty and perfection. We love the brand’s plans for the future – and here’s why!

1. Mental Health Initiatives

Many have found praise and respect for the brand’s “mission-focused” brand, celebrating individuality and self-love. The brand’s vision is to “create a safe, welcoming space in beauty – and beyond – that supports mental well-being across age, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, cultural background, physical or mental ability, and perspective.” The brand intends on donating one percent of sales of Rare Beauty – along with funds from partners – to the Rare Impact Fund, which helps increase access tor mental health resources and institutions. According to their site, the Rare Impact Fund also plans to “address the gaps in mental health service for underserved communities.” 

2. Sleek and Accessible Design

Alongside the “mission-focused” agenda, the brand was recognized for its sleek and accessible design, with a sphere on top of the handle that is intended to help those with arthritis. The sophisticated look and design reflects the high quality formula, all while designed to be simple enough to easily fit into a routine. 

3. Diverse Shade Range

When Rare Beauty first launched in September, many were shocked to see the 48 foundation shades available on the site. Brands such as Fenty Beauty by Rihanna have found praise for doing the same thing, and have set the standard for brands to do the same. Reviews and bloggers were pleased to see an up and coming beauty brand pull off a standard that many should be doing by now!

4. Product Transparency

Nowadays, makeup users and beauty lovers alike tend to ask one thing – what’s going into our makeup? This question pops up whenever we go shopping for a new eyeliner or cleanser. Most establishments aren’t transparent about the process that their products go through, but Rare Beauty’s products are vegan and cruelty-free! Rare Beauty does not test on animals and their products are 100% vegan. Not to mention, Rare Beauty’s packaging is reusable.

Overall, it seems like Selena and Rare Beauty have strong ambitions to drive the brand into its mission. Selena has been working on this for two years, and it shows in how passionate and strong she wanted to make her customers feel. Gomez wants to make sure her customers feel that their opinion mattered in this as much as hers did. She shows that she is fully capable of putting herself into the beauty industry, despite the fact that many did not see her excelling in that industry, or being in it at all. Her intentions for this brand are bright and promising, and we can’t wait for what’s next to come for Rare Beauty.

Shop Rare Beauty

Angela Vashti Valero (she/her) is a freshman at FIT who's currently studying Fashion Business Management. She aspires to work in the industry, as well as writing for fashion publications and websites. Born in the Philippines and living in Long Island, she's either wearing a full beat or a simple cat eye. You can find her listening to "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)" or lurking around on Pinterest. You can reach her on Instagram on @angelavashti.
Carli is a 2022 grad of the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and served as the style section editor for Her Campus. After being a national style writer for Her Campus, she launched Her Campus FIT. A born and raised Jersey Girl, she is a huge Bruce Springsteen fan. In her spare time she loves running, jamming to Taylor Swift, and tracking down the best burgers. Find her on Instagram @carliannescloset.