Flower Tile?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Flower Tile?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HBO Entertainment

Samantha Jones Has Always Been Ahead of Her Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

I’m currently re-watching Sex and the City and as a single woman in my 20s living in New York City, it is relevant to my life more than ever. Kim Cattrall’s portrayal of Samantha Jones, a fiercely independent publicist, continues to be praised as iconic and a breath of fresh air.

As a devoted career woman, Samantha continuously points out the disparities that take place in the workplace and isn’t afraid to let them be known. She takes pride in her work and doesn’t let anyone get in the way of her success.

“A guy gets angry in a meeting, he’s a pistol. A woman, she’s emotional.”

One thing Samantha Jones has taught us is that romantic relationships are not the “end-all be-all” of our lives as women. Our patriarchal society has ingrained in us from a young age that in order to live a fulfilled life, we must find a man to marry. It is harmful to teach girls to depend on someone else and Samantha is not here for it. She knows that the only person who could ever fulfill her is herself.

“Listen to me. The right guy is an illusion. Start living your lives.”

The truth of the matter is women can still thrive if they choose to de-center romance from their lives.

Throughout the series, Samantha Jones knows who she is and will not let anyone make her feel guilty for her decisions. She always knew that she did not want to get married or have children. She always respects everyone else’s choice to do so and expects the same in return. Her decision to not give into societal pressure is always something she stands strongly by.

“I’m gonna say the one thing you aren’t supposed to say. I love you… but I love me more. I’ve been in a relationship with myself for 49 years and that’s the one I need to work on.”

Samantha Jones celebrates her body, embraces her sexuality, and never changes herself for anyone. She is passionate, an amazing friend, and can still be vulnerable with the people she deeply cares for. Her character continues to be a role model for fans of the show, even over 20 years later.

Jacqueline is the Editor-in-Chief and Vice President of Her Campus at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC. She is graduating with a BS in Advertising and Marketing Communications and a minor in English. When she's not writing or reading, you can find her watching early 2000s rom-coms and listening to Taylor Swift.