Starbucks
Starbucks
Original photo by Emily Keuchler

Real Talk: Ranking of Starbucks Fall Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

The anticipated return of Starbucks’ signature beloved fall drinks returned to their menu at the end of August, a little early, but many felt the sooner the better. When fall season rolls around the hype of anything and all things pumpkin spice has only been rising. I decided to further investigate the excitement and obsession of these Starbucks fall drinks and indulge in them myself, ranking them in order with my top favorite as number 1.

1. Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew

A post shared by BRE SHEPPARD (@bresheppard) on

The Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is my top favorite of Starbucks fall drinks, as well as a huge fan favorite this year trending on all social media platforms of the rave when it returned, and influencers ritually going to get theirs. This beverage is my go-to in the fall when going to Starbucks and ordering a fall-themed drink. This drink features Starbucks’ classic cold brew coffee sweetened with vanilla syrup, and then is topped with pumpkin cream cold foam and dusted with pumpkin spice. Cold brew has been gaining popularity as it is a stronger, more caffeinated coffee, having its more energy-providing features of higher caffeine concentrate attract more people to it. It provides the perfect amount of cream sweetness mixed with a hint of pumpkin with its pumpkin cold foam on top, sprinkled with pumpkin spice seasoning topping. However, it still has that delicious desired coffee taste with the bold brewed cold brew. Bonus, it’s pretty to look at, doubling as a great fall photo prop with its cold brew and pumpkin foam layering effect!

2. Pumpkin Spice Latte

A post shared by Jaicee ♡︎ (@jaiceecarter.yt) on

Next is the classic, signature fall drink, the Pumpkin Spice Latte, which can be ordered either hot, iced, or as a frappuccino. Also, referred to as the PSL, is it really even fall if you haven’t ever tried a PSL? The beloved PSL fall beverage combines espresso and milk with a blend of pumpkin and traditional spice flavoring and then is usually topped with whipped cream and pumpkin spice seasoning. Unless you’re like me and find the whipped cream a little too sweet, as I opt for no whip cream for my PSL order. This drink is a sweet fall treat, in my opinion, tasting nothing like coffee. Although a grande size has two shots of espresso, you wouldn’t even recognize the espresso taste when you sip this drink. This drink is a perfect order for those who want a fall pumpkin beverage but aren’t big coffee drinkers and don’t like the taste of the coffee.

3. Salted Carmel Mocha

A post shared by Paradise Foodie (@paradise.foodie) on

It’s smart of Starbucks to offer an option for the not-so-pumpkin-lover, the Salted Caramel Mocha. A delicious treat drink with tastes of caramel and chocolate, hiding the espresso taste just enough, but sometimes you can taste just a hint of the espresso coffee taste. Many compare the taste to hot chocolate but better, as it provides a little caffeine kick with its espresso ingredient! This drink is offered to order as either hot, iced, or a frappuccino. It’s made up of espresso, milk, mocha sauce, and toffee syrup, topped with whipped cream and a caramel drizzle on top!

4. Carmel Apple Spice

A post shared by Michael Hopkins (@iamscribbles) on

This drink is an option for a non-coffee seeker, but for someone who still wants a fall beverage. This drink is more of a juice/cider and has no caffeine at all without an option to even add any espresso or coffee! It’s made up of steamed apple juice, cinnamon syrup, and usually topped off with whip cream and caramel drizzle, which again you can opt-out of the whip cream topping as it doesn’t seem very fitting for this drink to even have. If you’re an apple cider lover this drink is made for you! With its enticing cinnamon apple scent, it’s a delicious drink for a non-coffee moment. I myself wouldn’t order this again, mostly because I prefer a coffee/caffeine drink when I go to Starbucks!

5. Iced Chai Tea Latte with Pumpkin Cold foam 

**Bonus new trending Fall drink as seen on TikTok** Photo of me and my friend Lauren trying the drink ourselves:

Starbucks
Original photo by Emily Keuchler
The popular TikTok trending fall drink is the ultimate fall drink combination, the Iced Chai Tea Latte with Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam. The main star of the beverage is Starbucks’ Iced Chai Tea Latte. It’s made up of black tea infused with cinnamon, clove, and other warming spices are combined with milk and ice for the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. Top it off with the Pumpkin Cold Foam, taken from the star drink, the Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew. This pumpkin cream cold foam topping is made from cream and pumpkin spice sauce. The two combined into this beverage delivering the ultimate fall taste, it reminded me of the taste of Thanksgiving desserts. With its rich notes of cinnamon, clove, and prompted with the pumpkin spice tasting foam on top, its taste is a bit overwhelming for me at least, considering it has multiple fall-focused ingredients. I found it to be way too sweet and overpowering in the cinnamon and pumpkin taste for me with obviously no coffee taste because it is a tea. I don’t love chai tea on its own, so I think that was my reason for not loving it. But the reviews from others who try it seem to love it as a delicious fall treat!

A senior at The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City! Studying Fashion Business Management, and Advertising Marketing Communications. With a passion for all things fashion, and beauty related. On the weekends I enjoy spending time with family and friends and also exploring NYC with friends, taking photos, shopping, and going to cute coffee shops and restaurants!