Portland Based Artist Chipped Nail Polish To Release New EP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

“I want more than a viral song,” said Jill Sullivan, also known as Chipped Nail Polish. In a world where social media takes precedence over real life, many musicians have found fame and success on Tik Tok. But going viral isn’t all that they want. “I want people who are here for the journey, the process, and I think it’s more about quality over quantity for me at this point.”

Sullivan is a 25 year old artist based in Portland, Oregon. She has been releasing music since 2020, when she released her EP, B. “I was going through a really bad breakup,” she said. “That was the first time I really started writing songs and writing my own music and just kind of using that as a tool to help process that situation.” She explained how writing and releasing music was a healing tool for her while going through heartbreak. “That was more so just the end of my healing journey from that breakup,” she said about releasing B. “It was kind of like the final release.” 

Sullivan’s interest in music stemmed from the desire to play with her friends. “I kind of wanted to learn something so I could jam with my music friends,” she said. She tried out the guitar and eventually picked up a ukulele – the instrument that would become the token sound in her songs. 

The sound of Chipped Nail Polish is unique. The ukulele is the heart of the music and upbeat percussive hits compliment the instrument, creating songs that will make anyone want to get up and dance. “I’m very inspired by female and queer artists,” she said. Sullivan sighted artists Snail Mail, Soccer Mommy, Phoebe Bridgers, and Wallice as some of her artistic inspirations. “Overall, when I think about my live shows, I want people to be dancing and having a good time.” 

Rut, the single off of Chipped Nail Polish’s upcoming EP, Bottom Feeder, is out now. “I feel like Rut kind of encapsulates the theme and message of the EP the best. Just kind of like, chasing the dream, not really knowing where you’re going and feeling a little stuck at times,” she said. “I’m really, really proud of it.” 

Bottom Feeder comes out on February 27th. Pre-save the EP here

Jools is a senior at FIT majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with a minor in writing. She is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FIT.