This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Susannah Joffe is a singer from Austin, Texas with a strong passion for making music. For her, it’s not about being number one or winning awards. It’s about having fun doing what she loves. “I’m here to enjoy it,” she said “At the end of the day, yes I’m not doing arena tours but I’m getting to do something that I’m really passionate about. And people care and they’re listening.”

Joffe grew up around music. Her father was a songwriter and she used to harmonize with him on his originals. But it wasn’t until COVID-19 hit in her sophomore year of college that she decided to pursue music professionally. “At that time, a lot of stuff that I hadn’t dealt with was coming up and songwriting became a way for me to deal with that,” she said. Joffe released two songs, Nobody Wants Me Tonight and Forgive Me for Not Loving You. Both songs introduced the world to her poetic and personal lyrics. 

“I was working at Elizabeth Street Cafe, a restaurant in Austin, and when I was bored I would write lyrics on old receipts,” she said on writing her own songs. “My lyrics usually happen first and then melody and chord progression comes later. I definitely don’t have a set process,” she continued. “I usually write when I have an influx of emotion.” 

In 2021, Joffe had the opportunity to open for singer songwriter, Adam Melchor and now she will be joining him for three shows on his Here Goes Nothing! tour. “The first Adam show was a lot smaller because of COVID,” she said. “I’m really excited for these three shows because they’re gonna be a lot bigger than what I did on my last tour.” 

When it comes to performing live, Joffe loves interacting with the crowd. “I like to elicit reactions from people. For example on the Sunroom tour, there were like 16 year olds and if they looked kind of shy or nervous I would come up and sing right to them,” she said. 

Since 2020, Joffe has released an extensive discography of music. “My favorite song that I’ve put out is Halloween,” she shared. “But my favorite songs that I’ve written point blank are these three songs that I’m recording right now.” 

Her musical influences are always changing, helping to create her encapsulating sound. “I’ll pick five songs and that’s what I’ll listen to for like two weeks. And then the next two weeks, it will be another five songs.” Joffe’s expansive music taste can definitely be heard in her music. Songs like Backseat and The Punch have the rock elements like Miley Cyrus’ Plastic Hearts, while other songs like My California and In Your Room are reminiscent of artists like Lucy Dacus and Maggie Rogers. Pre-save her upcoming releases here!

Listen to Joffe’s latest release, Leash on My Neck here!

Follow Joffe on Spotify and Instagram

Jools is a senior at FIT majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications with a minor in writing. She is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at FIT.