This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIT chapter.

Surviving Mardi Gras can be quite the feat, but with this guide you will find yourself at the best parades, with your phone and wallet still in tact, and having the best time of your life in New Orleans.

1. Get A Fanny Pack

​From personal experience, things will get stolen at Mardi Gras. The best way to keep this from happening is to keep a fanny pack on you at all times. Since it’s always on you, you can’t lose sight of it or your belongings.

2. Share Your Location With Everyone You Are With​

I have learned that cell connection is basically non-existent during Mardi Gras, so the only way to find your friends is to track them on your phone.

3. Stay In A Group

​It may seem like a fun idea to wander off at some points, but you WILL get lost and it WILL be nearly impossible to find your friends again.

4. HYDRATE

​It’s a marathon, not a sprint. You have four days of endless fun, so make sure your body can handle it. 

5. Make Sure You Know The Parade Schedule

​Frat parties are fun, but make sure you know when and how to get to the parades. Mardi Gras is about the culture too and the parades are the biggest attraction. Don’t miss Muses or Endymion!